2 Arnold Crabinators! aghhh!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by dowtish, Apr 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

So I have had 2 emerald crabs in my tank for about 2 months, and they have been awesome relentless cleaners. They both molted within 2 weeks of having them, and I really didnt notice any size difference. Well that has all changed. They have both molted again, and have doubled in size and their claws have tripled! I was not aware that they were juicers. These guys are huge! And I am somewhat worried they are going to get an attitude as well. I dropped some food in tonight and one went reaching for a piece and missed but his claw landed in my xenia, so he just ripped off the polyp and munched on it. I immediately stuck my hand in the tank to scare him off. It looks like it's time to capture these thugs....oh joy...

I have read that the best way is to set a small jar at an angle to where they can climb in after some bait, and then are unable to climb out.

Any other full proof methods out there????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

4. mx36

mx36 Astrea Snail

I was lucky enough to catch mine with a net after watching him take a chunk out of one of my duncans. Never again will I have one in my aquarium. The jar idea sounds like it would probably work.

5. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

nah. the leaning cup in the tank usually works well. not a fan of emeralds as they usaully turn pest when larger. nice pic though

6. gsxr1000rider

gsxr1000rider Fire Shrimp

Actually I have only heard of the cup method. Throw some silversides in there and you should be good on the capture. GL with everything!

7. DBarsotti

DBarsotti Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'd go with the jar idea, small jelly jar, and something tasty, i bet you'd catch them in no time. They cant turn down a meal.

8. Click Here!

9. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

I had the same (molting) issue with my emerald. He was pretty tiny but after the molt, HE WAS HUGE! and he had one claw that was like triple the size. After the size increase I target feed him some garlic soaked silver side and he seems to leave everything else alone. I think if you take them out, you will miss them! Just my humble opinion!

10. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

I have one that has done the same thing. Though he's been in the tank for about a year. I just try to make sure he gets big pieces of krill a few times a week and he seems to leave everything else alone. I'm attached to my little Godzilla.

11. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I was told by someone if I start target feeding them, they will grow at even more of an alarming rate. But I think that is my only option since I've seen it take 2 swipes with the claw of death to my new McCoskers wrasse. Narrowly missing each time....:eek:

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Shiny! :D
    Wish ours would molt, have had them since November (1st thing my boyfriend brought home for the tank while I was at work) and they really look terrible now LOL. I target feed mine, there's just not enough for them to eat otherwise.

Mine only swipe at the fish when they think it's me feeding them! Well, except when one of the gobies bit one, then he hit him back LOL.

Have you really watched them grab stuff? Are they any good at it? Ours are totally uncoordinated and never manage to grab stuff that's even sitting still heheheh.