Sponges?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by RPM1, Mar 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Can anyone confirm if these are sponges and what type they are. I wasn't too concerned untill one of them began growing at the base of my birdsnest. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

They do indeed look like sponges perhaps pineapple (scypha), they also looks a lot like colonial tunicates, but more like sponges from the detail I can see in the image.
    Harmless filter feeds, I do not think they would pose a risk for the sps.

4. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Thanks much. I will try to take a picture of the one on the base of my little birdsnest later to get an opinion if I should do anything with it. I am just concerned because it almost looks like it's growing on the base. I have a hermit crab parked over the top of it right this second though.

5. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

looks somewhat like pineapple sponges to me too,but not quite.

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Looks like what they call liver sponge to me.

7. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

I dug out my digital camera instead of my cell phone. I will try to get a better picture today.

8. Click Here!

9. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Here is a shot of the sponge on the base of my little birdsnest. A telephoto lens and an aquarium do not get along well.

Attached Files:

10. Forestisskiing

Forestisskiing Astrea Snail

I have the samething in my tank. Liver sponge or Tunicate. Was the same awnsers I received.

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Liver sponges are usually gray or brownish and smooth. Looks like that in the first pic, but it's just not a really good pic to tell.
    The 2nd pic just looks like regular sponge that's kind of hard. I have some growing on my first zoas. I was worried it was going to choke them out the past month, but they seem fine. If you're worried about it on the hard coral, pull it out of the water for a minute, then put it back & see if the air kills the sponge or not.

12. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow when I do a water change. I am just a bit uncomfortable with the thing on my birdsnest. I would hate to see it die since I started it months ago from just a small 3/4" piece.