Is this some kind of star fish?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by lukeoslavia, Aug 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lukeoslavia

lukeoslavia Flamingo Tongue

I bought a peppermint shrimp and 3 blue leg hermit crabs and I think this little guy hitchhiked in with them! is it a starfish of some kind because I was planning on buying one anyway!
    [​IMG]
    ps sorry for the pic but the lights weren't on yet and he has since disappeared!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Asterina: Many different types. Some can be an issue secondary to excess population growth. A few among the bunch eat corals. I usually keep them until they prove me wrong.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

I have them and they never bother anything. I had a chocolate chip starfish for a while in my reef tank and it left my corals alone but ate most of those asterina starfish

5. lukeoslavia

lukeoslavia Flamingo Tongue

Thank you for the info! I just found an old thread on here telling how they eat coral so im a lil worried now ! any natural predators safe for reefs that you can reccomend ?

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What are you hoping for the predators to eat?

Hermits are predatory when the need, or a handy meal arises (they're opportunistic omnivores), and while peps really aren't predatory, they will indeed finish off dying critters.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There are many types of Asternia, most are harmless algae eaters, some prefer coralline algae. I would not worry about one Asternia, nor would I buy one type of critter with the hopes that it will eat another most likely harmless critter.
    A lot of harmless hitch hikers will pop up as your tank becomes established, fretting over them is pointless.