ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Skin: Mint
packagerat will become famous soon enoughpackagerat will become famous soon enoughpackagerat will become famous soon enough

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery
Default Sea Hare?

I Have had my refugium setup now for about 3 weeks and this guy was out poking around this morning just before lights out. I am assuming a sea hare, Will he be ok in the fuge or should I move him to display? Are there bad types of sea hares?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/packagerat/DSC_0320.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/packagerat/DSC_0319.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/packagerat/DSC_0313.jpg
packagerat is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Fire Shrimp

SmittyCoco is a splendid one to beholdSmittyCoco is a splendid one to beholdSmittyCoco is a splendid one to beholdSmittyCoco is a splendid one to beholdSmittyCoco is a splendid one to beholdSmittyCoco is a splendid one to beholdSmittyCoco is a splendid one to behold

gallery

Could be a nudi ? Where did it come from ? hitcher?
SmittyCoco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

packagerat will become famous soon enoughpackagerat will become famous soon enoughpackagerat will become famous soon enough

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Yea, he either came from reefcleaners.com or my lfs had given me a ball of cheto
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Astrea Snail

ericd has helped out a lot around hereericd has helped out a lot around here

gallery

Does he look like thisFlying Sea Hare | Nudibranchs | Corals & Invertebrates | Aquarium Livestock - ThatPetPlace.com
It does look like a sea hare. They are harmless but need a large amount of algae to survive. Also they are easily sucked into powerheads(personal exp.)
ericd is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Skunk Shrimp

rmelvin23 has a spectacular aura aboutrmelvin23 has a spectacular aura about

gallery

It does look like a little bitty sea hare. I bought one and it did an amazing job with the algae, but after a few weeks it dissapeared. I never found it, even with moving all the rocks. It was the size of my fist, I had never seen one so big. My water never spiked, so I am not sure what happened to it. I hope you have better luck with yours.
rmelvin23 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
Giant Squid

schackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

If it is a sea hare you will want to find a bunch of people in your area to share it. From what I understand, no one tank can really support one..they will starve to death. THere is simply not enough algea to keep it going. One of the stores I go to actually has a "revolving" sea hare. People will borrow it and bring it back in for the next person to use.
Plus I understand that they can get really big, really fast, thus increasing the amt of food they need
schackmel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Giant Squid

baugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond reputebaugherb has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Very Cool....
baugherb is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Thanks for all the help. I like the idea of sharing it. Not to much on just letting somthing die. Will check with my lfs
Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
Bruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud of

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Thats awesome. I was out on a field trip (TA'd for a college marine course) and the class found one the size of a football, pretty cool.

I have also heard that there are serious feeding problems, but since its so tiny... it should be ok for a while.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Feather Duster

jptrson has much to be proud ofjptrson has much to be proud ofjptrson has much to be proud ofjptrson has much to be proud ofjptrson has much to be proud ofjptrson has much to be proud ofjptrson has much to be proud ofjptrson has much to be proud of

gallery

We do that, rent them out. It looks like a Aplysia californica .They will bury themselves, and camouflage very well so you can go a week or two without seeing them. They are toxic, if they are harassed or get sucked into a power head they can nuke a tank. Pretty rare, but does happen and usually affect only fish. If this happens use lots of carbon. If they just starve or die from poor acclimation (should be about 3 hours at least) you just have a big slimy blob to remove. I had one die in a 5 gallon nano with no problem, left the window open and cooled too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schackmel View Post
If it is a sea hare you will want to find a bunch of people in your area to share it. From what I understand, no one tank can really support one..they will starve to death. THere is simply not enough algea to keep it going. One of the stores I go to actually has a "revolving" sea hare. People will borrow it and bring it back in for the next person to use.
Plus I understand that they can get really big, really fast, thus increasing the amt of food they need
jptrson is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!