New live rock, Something is growing!!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Hasuna91, Aug 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hasuna91

Hasuna91 Plankton

I started my aquarium just 2 days ago. I bought these live rocks right out of of someones healthy aquarium. They sat around for about 12 hours before I was able to finally get them in the tank.

They had something on them, I have no idea what it is... because im a noob
    I figured it was coral but though it was dead.

[​IMG]

I came home after work today. My tank as completely cleared up.
    Some of those white thinks look like there opening up and now look like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea what this is? If its coral, does anyone know its name or what it'll look like if it continues to grow or is that all I should expect to see?

TIA!

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

they are little feather dusters - not corals but a nice filter feeder and they're pretty to look at.

1 person likes this.
  4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Look like pest anemones or coral to me

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Image #1 looks like either palys or zonathids that have been without adequate lighting for some time, not unusual on live rock.

Image #2 and 3 not sure on. They are both in the shadows or shaded. Need to give it some more time to make a correct ID IMO.

6. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Oh man, you just took me back to the days when I set up my first saltwater tank back in 07. It was so fun looking at the live rock and being like, "what's that?...what's that?...!! WHAT'S THAT?!?!"

To me, they look to be either zoanthids, some kind of anemone or a dark coral kinda like in the family of sun coral....I doubt dark coral...hmm

7. Hasuna91

Hasuna91 Plankton

The "things" in image 2 and 3 are the same as image one. "They just opened up" where as the rest haven't changed. They looked identical when I first put them in the tank.

LOL That's exactly what happen to. I started yelling and calling my wife to come and see. I was excited until I realized she was playing along because she didn't want to hurt my feelings at how much she didn't care haha

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Hmm probably Palys then although I do not know type, still could be Zoanthids though.

Where did the rock come from as in origin geographically? And seller?

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Look like bleached zoa/paly or an anemone.

11. Hasuna91

Hasuna91 Plankton

I bought them from a private seller who was selling his whole aquarium.
    I'm not sure where there from. I didn't ask because I didn't know it matters:/

What does bleached exactly mean? Like actual bleach? Lol if so would they still continue to grow? Should I try feeding them? Better lighting?

Thanks for the help!

12. Corailline

Bleached means that coral/invert has lost it's zooxanthellae. Since zooxanthellae give the coral it's color, when zooxanthellae is absent some corals/inverts appear white. I have seen this a few times with palys or zoanthids that where in a dark area of the tank.