Mean Snail

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kuro, May 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kuro

Kuro Astrea Snail

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]I brought this guy home yesterday and this morning he was glommed onto the opening of my poor astrea snail. I seperated them and it took them both about an hour more more to get going again. I had a look this evening and once again he'd attached to the astrea snail.
    He doesnt appear to like staying higher up on the rocks. Seems to prefer shady areas, and beyond that I havent actually seen him do anything aside from the issue with my favorite snail!
    When I seperated them I tossed him to the corner while inspected the other one (hes clammed up and wont come out).
    While he was laying on his back two little narcissis snails came over at their super ninja speed that they do and crawled all over him checking him out. he attempted to open up and couple times and the two little guys had a scrap between themselves before running away.
    Seriously, my tank has like bad chii or something!
    Does anyone have an idea of what this mean 1" snail is?
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

There is no such thing as a bad snails, just bad owners. 8)

4. Kuro

Kuro Astrea Snail

That's nice. I'd rather not be called a bad owner when i'm asking what he is so that I can deal with him appropriatly instead of killing him on site like a "bad owner" would.
    I'm just concerned that he might not be right for my tank since I love my snails.
    -_-

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

i gotta agree on your response there kuro. seemed kinda unappropriate for that to be said.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi guys, Bogie was making the old "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners" joke and he just substituted snails in this case

he was not seriously implying anything about the snail or its owner

I have not got any experience on this type of thing, if one species of snail lists another species of snail amongst its preffered diet - well that would be an interesting new fact for me

Pago joe or John Maloney seem clued up on snails (there will be others and apologies for anyone I left off) so you might have to wait until later to find our what it is and if your other snails are on the menu

in the mean time - islotate in a floating bowl the "hunter" one - thats what I would do

Steve

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

guess that wasnt brit humor. lol. guess i could understand where kuro was comin from better. i hope he gets his snail situation sorted out.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

LOL. Bogie made a funny!!!!!

10. Kuro

Kuro Astrea Snail

I do have a floating breeder trap I can use until I take him back to work with me tomorrow. At the moment hes got himself on the underside of the arch of rocks. And the astrea snail he bothered twice today is doing fine and wandering around.
    I wish he could be converted to freshwater, then I could let him dine on all the little pest snails that are devouring my planted tank :mad:
    He had been at my work in our back salt tanks for longer than I have been working there. He was in the tank we store all our live rock, and I havent seen anything but hermits in there. Maybe he is a snail eater, one would have assumed it was the hermits dirty work usually.
    I am Canadian also Divott :) I didnt get that humor either.

1 person likes this.
  11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

floating breeder trap will be an ideal temp home if he goes hunting again - rogue snail might eat other things you want in your tank so best to be safe then sorry

Ironic - your comments about this snail being converted to FW so it could deal with the other snails - I have always thought it would be excellent if Plecostomus species could be converted to salt water as a Royal Plec, or a golden nugget would be in my reef tank (nicer to look at than snails IMO)

Steve

12. Kuro

Kuro Astrea Snail

You would seriously want a pleco in your saltwater tank? I believe them to be fake cleaners, they DO keep the glass clean(ish) but they create enough waste to fertilize it and make it regrow so they can eat it again. They farm their own algae crops so to speak. Not only that but they're a bull in a china shop when it comes to rocks and plants lol. I use zebra nerite snails in my planted tank.

Funny that this snail gets close to my other types and doesn't bother them. Just got it out for the spiky one I guess O-o.