Help with suspected aiptasia!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by aw1447, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Hey guys. I bought a piece of LR a few days ago with around a dozen mushrooms on it. I noticed 2 really small clear tenacled things on it, they will recede into their tube when I get too close. I've tried to get a picture, but there so small and completely clear, its pretty much impossible with an iphone camera. I've kept my eye on them the past few days, and although they haven't really grown, two more tiny ones popped up right next to them. So I'm pretty sure it is indeed aiptasia.. Whats the easiest way to rid my tank of these little buggers? Thanks for any help everyone!

2. Click Here!

3. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Whenever I see any Aiptasias in my tanks, I inject TM Elimi-Aiptas directly into the stalk as opposed to into the mouth. I find that the product has a better kill rate when injected into the stalk rather than the mouth and it has worked well for me.

4. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

I took this from my other post:

Get rid of it. Im guessing you will see more. They can infest a tank and multiply like crazy. I stick a syringe near them and pump them full of hot boiled water and then suck them up into the syringe.

5. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I don't believe it's aipastia if it goes into a tube. Aipastia look like they jump back into a crack when touched or a hard bump occurs near them.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I agree with fishyfinder. From your description it is a harmless type of tube worm. I have hundreds of them living among my rock work.

Heres aiptasia pics
    aiptasia image - Google Search

7. aw1447

reef monkey and fishfinder - That makes me feel a lot better. I've searched all over this site and others to try to match what I have with a picture, but have yet to find a match. Its making me a little nervous about leaving them alone ya know.. Especially since a few more popped up next to them. It doesn't have that big circular center that connects the stalk with the tenacles. More of just a tube with a few tenacles at the end. I look up tube worm and check it out.. I'll keep trying to get a pic.

One more question. I have a frag of trumpet coral, on one of the branches it looks like a small little spiral worm or something. Every now and then, you can see what looks like a string of silk or a thread or something coming off of it. I have read something about these worms somewhere, but can't find it anymore! Do yall know what I'm talking about? Are they good or bad? If its bad, how do I get rid of it? haha. Thanks everyone.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

10. aw1447

Coralline- Thanks for the link. I think I have an ID on the little "silk spitter". I suspect its a false spaghetti worm, and thank goodness its not harmless. However, I still can't find a match for my "aiptasia" or whatever it may be.. Hmm.

1 person likes this.
  11. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

"Silk Spitter" sounds like a Vermetid Snail. Clear Aiptasia sounds like it could be Hidden Cup Corals or Phyllangia americana.

12. aw1447

Clonefarmer- Your right, its definitely a vermetid snail. It say they're not dangerous, but it still makes me a little paranoid being that its shacked up on my trumpet. As for the other ID, I'd say it isn't either of the two you listed. It recedes back into a tube, and doesn't have near that many tenacles. Still a mystery..