Help, ich outbreak like ive never seen....

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Roemer3, Jun 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Roemer3

Roemer3 Astrea Snail

Check out this picture guys, Im pretty sure I have a serious ich problem. or is this something else? I just had a fish die from ich and there is no fish currently in my system. Does this look like ich to you? There is latterly thousands of them all over the glass and in the water.... :/ What should I do? Ive been planning on investing in an Aqua 57 Watt UV Sterilizer.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Look like a type of copepod. I don't believe that you can see individual ich parasites with the naked eye, just the colony of that they form.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Awww did your sailfin tang die?

6. Roemer3

Roemer3 Astrea Snail

yeah the sailfin died :/ This hobby is really starting to frusturate me. Ive had nothing but problems.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Its all about the ebb and flow. Some periods are better than others.

Trust me I know how you feel. Early on in my adventure I had a nasty bacterial infection that came in on some chromis decimate my 55g. Lost about 5 fish in a period of a few days (Luckily my flame angel survived). Now I am stocked back up and my fish have been very very healthy the last 6 or so months.

I have battled with insane amounts of cyanobacteria, basically covering everything. Now after that period of happiness I am struggling with coral. My big 3 are fluctuating and I am having some some LPS go through polyp bail out etc.

But its all a learning process. You figure out what mistakes you made that led you to go to where you are and you systematically go through and correct those. So far I have won all the battles and my tank is really starting to come along.

Just make sure you persist :), don't give up. It all comes good in the end (with patience of course). If I had a dollar for every time I wanted to give in, I would have alot of dollars :). Every-time you run into a problem just remember that there are a host of people on here that will help you and work through your problems. Just like they are helping me work through my Ca/Alk and Mg problems at the moment.

We are all a big family and here to support one another :).

Go slow :).

+ some karma to help you keep going :)

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You created a really nice tank and stand, you just have to go slow and let it age and stick to the hardy corals and hardy fish until the tank evolves.

"Nothing good happens fast in this hobby"

Keep asking the questions and just go slow. Anyone that can afford it can stock a tank with tons of exotic fish and expensive corals but insta tanks are rarely successful.

As Ryan pointed out, if you stick with it you will go through up periods and sometimes you might just hate your tank (I currently hate mine).

10. Roemer3

Roemer3 Astrea Snail

Thank you for the support everyone, I really do appreciate it! This sure can be a confusing hobby and a lot to learn about in the beginning. I plan to get an AQUA 57 watt UV Sterilizer running and let my tank sit with out fish for the next 12 weeks and then try a fish again! Hopefully ill have beat the ich problem.

11. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Great attitude :). Try and maybe get a quarantine tank happening as well? Doesn't have to be big or fancy, just a tank with some pvc in there for fish to hide in. That can also go along way to make sure Ich never even makes it back :).

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, do hang in there! I don't think what's on your glass is ich......read the links that Coralline posted....it probably is some type of copepod which are a good thing. Sorry to hear about your sailfin :( It's always hard to lose a beautiful fish.

I predict you'll have many rewarding days/weeks/months in this hobby in the future. As people say, go slow and you'll reap the rewards!