Anemone ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by nc208082, Jun 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Just wondering if anyone can confirm the ID for this species. For a while i thought Manjano, but after researching It looks exactly like
    Giant Green Anemone Anthopleura xanthogrammica, Sea Anemone Guide

They have stayed on the same rock for over a year and a half without spreading and now they are popping up in a few spaces, they're annoying my zoas now.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

1-3 = looks like Anthopleura xanthogrammica to me as well
    4&5 = looks like a manjano

1 person likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

To me they look like a type of palys. May we please have an image of the stock/base?

While they do resemble the Anemone type in the link, those Anemones are a cold water type and would never survive in our warmer tanks for long.

The oral opening does not look Anemone like either to me.

Curious to see what they actually turn out to be.

1 person likes this.
  5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

@Rawdogz pics 4 and 5 are of the same thing justshowing how its starting to wander near my zoas and showing the smaller size of it.

@Corailline- I will post a pic of the stalk of the polyp. The main reason I thought they were anemones was because of how they feed. I know the other ones are cooler water species which is why I didnt think they were that, they just happened to be the closest resemebling thing to them.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm curious on the cold water species if they're called giant green how large they usually are. I didn't see that mentioned in the article. That could be a definer for you also.

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Update here is a few more pics to try and help I got some of the stalks, and as well during feeding time some shots of it eating so you can see the mouth and more.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Another close up of the stalk, As well this "thing" has had some weird behaviour the last 2 days since i posted the ID. I caught it the first night one of them had moved to the top of the glass sitting with half its body out of water, it stayed in this exact spot for about 12 hours, the next day it had moved to the adjacent panel and this time about 80% of its body was out of the water, it stayed in this spot out of water for about a day, when i came home from work tonight it has moved back down the glass about half way and is very much alive and thriving. I find it really odd behavior that it would seek any time out of the tank especially being exposed for a lengthy amount of time.

Attached Files:

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

well I think I found what it is, I was close with the first guess Anthopleura xanthogrammica. But it is actually Anthopleura Elegantissma, Or the Aggregating Anemone, Green aggregating anemone.
    Anthopleura elegantissima

11. Corailline

Yep, your right, it is indeed an anemone.

I do not think you will find your ID though looking in temperate zones. Those waters off the the Coast of Baja only gets to 75 degrees, the farther north your talking 60-70 degree waters.

Also look at the stock/foot/base of yours compared to the ones you listed.

While I have really no clue where yours might be found or an ID, I would look to warmer water species. Try the Caribbean and farther south.

Good luck with the ID and I hope they do not reproduce too quickly.

12. Corailline

Oh and I am cursing you :angry: as I keep looking for an ID. I just to not see how an aggregating anemone could live and reproduce in the warmer water conditions of your tank.

:biggrinbo