What pvc bond shouldI use

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by kk59204, May 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kk59204

kk59204 Plankton

I am plumbing my 150 that I just got and I have never plumbed anything with my aquarium before. My last one was all hang on the back stuff. Any suggestions about what glue to use with the PVC? will normal pvc cement work? (The pipes will run from the bottom of my over flow to sump and then back up from my pump to my display tank.)

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

the normal stuff should work i used it in mine, im pretty sure its food grade since this could be peoples plumbing

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yep. Anything that is approved potable will be fine. I used "Red Hot Blue Glue" on mine.

5. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

I used the cleaner then the blue stuff then the cement. make sure when you do it though you hold the pieces together for at least 30 secs or else they will slide apart

1 person likes this.
  6. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Any of the glues you get at the home improvement store will be fine. But, I wouldn't use hard pipe from the drain to the sump. Use what they refer to as "spa flex". It is flexible and you don't glue it. It fits snugly enough over PVC pipe not to need to be glued. You don't have to worry about getting everything perfect to get the drain where you want it to go, and, it allows you easy moving of it if you need in the sump or stand for anything. Just make sure it doesn't get any low spots in it. If its long enough that it needs to hang so that the water goes down and comes back up, cut it shorter or loop it in a circle. Just don't leave that low spot in the drain line.

And congrats on the new tank.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If you have to go anywhere but directly below the tank into an in stand sump, then I would use spa flex for as much as you can. I would never trust a connection to not be glued, even with spa flex. I would, and have glued spa flex, and it works with normal PVC glue. Just note that the spa flex needs a lot more time to set than a traditional PVC to PVC joint. I always let the PVC to spa flex joints sit overnight before I put them to use. Traditional PVC to PVC joints should be held together for 30 seconds or so since as noted above, the pieces will separate.

You can also use clear primer, and it looks better IMHO, but how much do you look at your plumbing??

8. Click Here!

9. freyre

freyre Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

plase be carefull...not all are the same, some are use for other things and some have mercury and led you dont want this into your aquerium check it befr use... you can do it by using a glass of water tap is fine drop 2to3 drops to the top if the glue or primer make a fill on top and you can take it out with your fingers then it is safe to use because it din't diluded in water, if it dos don't use!!!!!!!!!!!!! use the purple primer and the clear pvc cement they work very good

10. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I hold a plumbing ticket, pretty much anything you get at the hardware store is fine, and because it is not a pressurized system you do not need to use the primer, just make sure the pipe edges are clean, slap the glue on (thicker on pipe, thinner on fitting) and press together they should glue within a few seconds, if not you are using too much. Also it should be noted that this really isn't glue, it actually partially melts the pvc and bonds the two pieces together. And you should let it cure for 24 hours before using it on your aquarium cause they use "volitile" chemcals in them, these are just the base that evaporates away as the joint dries so waiting 24 hours ensures they are gone and don't pollute your system.

Hope this helps,

Jake

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

If you use the blue "Rain or Shine" stuff, then you don't have to worry about cleaning the pipe or using any primer.

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Did you run that past Sacrificial Damsel first??