Reseal Aquarium

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ACSmith, Jan 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ACSmith

ACSmith Plankton

Hello 3reef! Last summer I was given an "unsealable" 90 gallon aquarium with the thoughts of "I can do that, it's just using a caulking gun.". Well here it is in February and I still can't reseal it. I have completely stripped all the joints out multiple times using acids, razor blades, and elbow grease. Ive used GE silicone 1 and actual aquarium sealant. So far none of that has worked, starting last Monday I have taken the trim off the bottom and I'm trying to cut the silicone to remove the bottom.

To describe the leak, its just a trickle that starts after about a day after being full. It fills the bottom trim and comes out randomly. I have tried drilling small holes in the bottom of the trim to try to narrow down where the leak originates. Still no good.

It's an older tank. It has thicker glass and no center bow. It is not drilled and I am unsure if it is tempered or not. There is 1 light chip but it's on the side, more than halfway up the tank. When do I decide it's more worth my time and money to buy a new tank instead of continuing to fix this one? I can't just quit, everything is fine besides the silicone. I have run completely out of ideas and my hands are sore of bare glass, razors, and a 160lb tank. I need the experienced gurus of 3reef! Please throw me ideas or tell me to give up.

On a side note, I finished making the stand ;D maybe I should have waited. I also picked up a 20 gallon long at the last petco 1$ a gallon sale for my sump.

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I would pull off the glass and re-build it. With thicker glass and today's sealents you probably could go rimless.

4. ACSmith

ACSmith Plankton

When I am removing the seals from the bottom pane how do I remove the silicone between the panes? I have removed the bottom from the side that I think leaks because there was about 6 inches not sealed but the 2 end panes seem to be touching the bottom pane to the point I can't put a razor in between them.

5. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

fishin strang bro! slide it back n forth like a sawing motion.

6. 99taws6

99taws6 Plankton

The work and the time you are spending it might be cheaper to pick a tank up off craigslist. It doesn't sound like the tank is anything special and you won't have to worry about it failing when full.