Removing the top molding on a 10 gallon?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Anldyxp, Dec 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Hi guys. I just bought a 10 gallon tank to upgrade my sump and a new stand. I wanted to hang my Octopus 100 skimmer on the side of the 10 gallon sump. But my skimmer is 1/8" too thick so it won't fit into the stand. But If I remove the molding/brace on one side of the tank, the skimmer will fit in just perfect.

I came up with a solution to stack acrylic sheets under the HOB skimmer to raise it up past the bottom molding. So now all I need to do is remove one side of the top molding. Would this be ok, or would I need to make some kind of bracing to prevent bowing? With one side of molding removed, the skimmer fits flush with the glass of the tank, and the stand so technically their won't be any bowing. But I'm afraid the pressure will be forced out to the front and back of the tank. Any ideas? Those of you who have converted a regular tank to a rimless?

Here are some pictures of whats going on also. Thanks!

-So here is the space that I have left in the stand.
    [​IMG]

-As you can see, its just a liiiiiitle bit off due to the molding/bracing. You can see the acrylic sheets on the bottom, that I cut to lift the skimmer above the bottom molding/brace.
    [​IMG]

-But here you can see it does fit if it weren't for the molding/brace.
    [​IMG]

So I just want to cut out a little bit of the molding on that side. Will I have structural issues? I debated for so long on whether to get the Octopus 100 or the AquaC Remora. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the Remora since its a whole 1" thinner than the octopus. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

If you just notch out enough on the outside to fit the skimmer I don't see why you would have any problem. There won't be enough water in a 10g to blow the silicone seams and the skimmer will be up against the inside wall of the stand. I say no worries at all. Just be careful cutting that section out, don't want to hit the edge of the glass or it will shatter!

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

i dont believe there would be an issue with removing the rim completely on a tank that small...normally id worry about the weight of the skimmer putting too much pressure on the glass facing outward, but since the skimmer is so snug i wouldnt worry at all :)

5. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Thanks again! I will probably add more silicone if anything. And fortunately the skimmer will be sitting on those acrylic sheets so it probably won't even be touching the rim of the tank, so less to worry about. :)

6. reefwerks

reefwerks Flamingo Tongue

+1...

7. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

silicone doesnt bond with already dried silicone if you did know that!