Rebuilding a 190g

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Stercus Accidit, Dec 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

My brother (myboyblu) and I were at our favorite hangout today, our LFS, and were talking about the perfect size tank with the owner when he says "I have one of those in my storage unit" 60x24x31. So my brother asks him what he wanted for it and we loaded up to go get it...I really cannot say what my bro gave for it ;D

It needs to be completely torn down and resealed. It has euro bracing on top and trim around the bottom, nice thick glass.

Anyone have any threads, DIY's, videos that get detailed on the best way to accomplish this? I would hate to not get it right the first time. We know the gist of it, razor blades, remove ALL old silicone...etc. Just wanted to see and read about how someone else has done this.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Interesting dimensions. Can't wait to see this tank build!

I think some Ecoxotic Cannons would be great for this tank.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stercus Accidit

Thanks!

Yes they would...interesting you should mention something like that ;)

I don't want to get to far ahead of him and start planning his tank for him...but we spent hours last night discussing "caution" fish. I can say for sure the top of his list is an Aussie Tusk.

5. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

6. Stercus Accidit

Somewhat, but this tank needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. I have done a simple reseal a few times, and built some sumps...but never a complete disassemble.

We are thinking a jig of some kind, some carpenter clamps, and lots of masking tape lol

7. Seano Hermano

I saw a whole write-up about building a DIY aquarium over on "The Planted Tank" forum.

You should use GE Silicone 1 (like you normally would) Window and Door. Use tape to hold your glass upright and then 2 J clamps on each side panel. On the corners, you should use frame clamps, to keep them at 90* angles.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

10. Seano Hermano

Tusks are beautiful fish. I have no experience with them, but our 3reef friend and reef addict, MoJoe, has kept one in his 70g cube reef for some time now. Perhaps he could provide you and your brother with some good info on these wonderful specimen.

11. Stercus Accidit

We get clear aquarium safe silicone for free :p but he is wanting to use the black, since it will more than likely have black sand as well. My 20g has the black on black and I love it!

Thanks!! Great read, very very helpful

Awesome, and thanks again.

He is going to see if he can get on here with his phone and post some pics...turn this into a progress thread. If not I'll do it.

12. myboyblu

myboyblu Astrea Snail

Ok I just want to say that I LOVE my iPhone! I can't post pictures to this forum. I'm super excited about rebuilding this tank. Ok... 1st thank you for the video post about resealing your tank, but I can't believe I watched the whole thing. It was Sooo boring, and was all common sence. Lol. 2nd... Those ecoxotic cannons are super expensive! I can build one BA led fixture for about half that. But I truely thank you for all advise and ideas. Sure some I won't take but all will be taken into consideration.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
    1 person likes this.