Planning a blacked out in tank fuge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dkcabaccang, Feb 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dkcabaccang

dkcabaccang Plankton

Aloha everyone,
    Got a 29g tank started and wanted to get some pointers on my setup. Its been running for 22 days now and doing pretty good. I use free filtered ocean water do frequent water changes. Topped off with distilled water. Heres a breakdown of the system:
    -20lb aragalive fiji pink
    -gonna add 20lb tahiti moon sand for the salt pepper look tomorrow
    -15lb live rock some decor corals (curing more live rock at the moment/ using aquacultured live rock from moloka'i, HI)
    -hydor slim skim skimmer
    -aquaclear 50
    -maxijet 400
    -koralia nano 425
    -custom glass lid to fit protruding skimmer
    -marineland dbl bright LED (gonna sell it and get the kessil a150w ocean blue-- rookie mistake! I shoulda went balls deep and went for the kessil to start)

-7 hermits
    -big cowrie snail
    -3 other snails idk maybe turbo?
    -1 blue damsel
    -2 false clowns
    - feather duster
    -just found a shrimp in there today

Just bought the CPR in tank refugium and JBJ nano-glo refugium light. I plan on blacking out the three sides of the refugium and installing it on the right side of my tank. The clear side will recieve light from the nanoglo. Hopefully no light will penetrate the in tank refugium and disturb the tank inhabitants when main lights are off. I'll be adding sand from tank, small peice live rock, caeto algae, and copepods in the fuge. Im hoping for a self sufficient food supply for my tank as the pods flow outa the fuge.

Still cant wait to get new light. Let me know what you guys think of my setup and blacked out fuge idea. Is it even necessary to black it out? Sorry pictures will be coming shortly as soon as i finish it and add new rock.

Aloha

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I see no problem with your plan, though I don't have any personal experience with in tank fuges. As for the blackout plan, I would highly suggest it.

The reason is that the fuge light bulb will peak at the optimal colors for macro algae growth. At the same time, it would also promote nuisance algae growth. If it's not blacked out, the light will reach your display tank and could cause nuisance algae to grow faster.

While it shouldn't cause a bloom if your water params are perfect (i.e.- no phosphates or nitrates for the algae to consume), its not worth the risk IMO

4. dkcabaccang

dkcabaccang Plankton

Thanks for the heads up. Im thinking of buying black aquarium background and crazy glue to black it out. Will update when things are in motion.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

why not a hob fuge to add to the water volume and biological filter? the cpr versions come 1 side blacked out already!

6. dkcabaccang

dkcabaccang Plankton

I know i seen the HOB filter. Those are sick but im kinda limited to space and mounting capabilities. Maybe in the future i'll step it up.