Painting back of Tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by philip_r5, Mar 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

I want to paint the back of my fish tank so i dont have to deal with the tape on backs. What kind of paint do you guys use and what are the steps needed to take? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

ive heard that the krylon fusion stuff works well, or just some roll on krylon will work too.

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

5. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

If the tank already has water in it then I would use a small roller to paint the outside of the back. Mine is black but a medium blue looks good to. Darker colors will tend to make the colors in the tank pop better.

6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Brighter colors will reflect more light tho wouldnt they? I just painted my 90 gallon last nite, its a medium blue. I used egg shell latex interior paint. Goes on best with foam rollers and brushes. Took me 8 coats, bout 5 hours of painting

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Got any pics luvreefs23??? Sure would like to see the finished project....

8. Click Here!

9. rudzy17

rudzy17 Astrea Snail

i used rustoleum black for my 175 gal. it took two coats and looks great. whatever paint you decide to use make sure it's completely clean before you starting painting. it also helps if the glass surface is warmer.

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

11. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

None of those thread actually point out if someone tried painting something that was goin to be constantly under water. Anyone tried it with any success?

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I think I posted in one of those threads, but I'll give you a quick cliff notes:

I just painted the back of my tank a couple weeks ago, while it was up and running. I moved the filter to the front, taped all the cords to the wall, wiped the glass good with vinagear water, sprayed windex on a paper towel and wiped it down good again. I used Royal Blue Rustoleum (black is supposed to be good too) and put 2 coats on a day apart with a 9" roller. 2 swipes and done. It looks GREAT. Tape the trim, I had paint get under the trim in 1 spot, but still doesn't look bad. Don't bother trimming with a brush, it just streaks. SO: 1: clean glass 2: tape trim 3: roll on 1 coat, wait 24hrs. 4: roll on 2nd coat, wait 24hrs. 5: ENJOY!!!

Worked great for me, best way that I've heard of. Got the advice from the legendary Tangster himself!!!

Let us know how it goes!!