Naked DIY Stand. Need Trim Help!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by aesp533262, May 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

I built a stand for my 90gal Perfecto Tank. Built just the frame. now i need to trim it up. Any Help!. It would help if you could use the names of the trim that Lowes and Home Depot use ;D;D;D;D. I am looking to come close to the look of the Marine Land Deep Dimension Stands.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

for those front corners, theres a fluted trim thats very similar. the doors, either you make them , or they can come premade. but really let your imagination work. lots of fun that way

4. aesp533262

currently having trouble with the trim that goes over the top and covers the tank plastic frame.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

you could get a nice chair rail to do the top molding also. on the pic, theyve got it framed with what looks like staright 1x3 mitred. a chair rail would lok good with the fluting running vertical. for the baseboard, you kinda hindered it not the tall , so go with that 1x3.

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

How high did you build your stand? The deep dimension cabinet is finished wood, I would probably say it's finished solid oak hardwood. If you get some nice red oak wood that would be strong and look good. The trim that goes around the bottom of the tank is a 1" x 3". 2" covers the plastic brace on the bottom of the tank. That tank with rock and sand and water will weigh close to 1000 lbs filled so make sure it's strong.

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

looks like its just a facing he needs. so not necessarily something load bearing. more of a dress around the skeleton

8. Click Here!

9. aesp533262

Total height is 32". Top and bottom is 2x6 for displacement, mitered corners and corner blocks. posts are 2x4. 3/4 Oak Plywood on the sides and front.

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

plenty strong , so just need a facing

11. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Sounds like a good solid stand. Just some nice finished wood trim is all you need. Show pictures when finished.

12. aesp533262

Just got back from Home Depot and Lowes. Top and bottom trim will be 1x3 w/ routed edges and mitered corners. Just need to add a sheet of oak to the bottom to get the height for the trim to fit. The front side edges will be the fluted trim. Then all i need is some help with the doors. I like the current 'FLUSH' inside the frame. Anyone have any suggestions for how i can do the doors. I didnt make a frame around where the doors go so i think i have limited my options. But again any help will be appreciated......

Attached Files: