Just an idea...

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dave_rp, May 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dave_rp

dave_rp Astrea Snail

Hello,
    In the future I would love to own a large tank 200-250 gal. As I start to read about these tanks and their plumbing design I started to wonder if it was possible to make these setups almost dead quite. My question is could you run all the equipment in a shed out side the house? Maybe run just the lines for the intake and the overflows out to it? But what about the overflow? That is usually feed to the sump by gravity. Can you pump it? Does anyone do that? Also on a side note to drill holes for a close circuit system and overflows would acrylic be really the only way to go? Is acrylic really that easy to drill or is glass an option but the drilling is just trickier? If I someday do spend 1400-2000 on a tank I figure id be a little scared to drill it (crack it).:-/

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

We have our sump/refugium/reactors in the basement. The shed is too far from the house to consider doing that.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I have also seen many setups with all that stuff in the garage. Seems that would be very quite.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

running it in a garage or shed would also depend where you lived. northern you couldnt, freezing up wouldnt be good. or could get too hot also in southern climes.

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

What you don't have AC in your garage? I thought every one did. LOL just kidding

Edit: I guess a heater in your case. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

The shed would deffinetly need climate control

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

To answer your question either the display or the "sump" has to be feed by gravity. If you try to pump water into the sump and then back into the display one line will be faster than the other. Even using the exact same model pumps and plumbing it would be impossible to balance it. Even if you got it perfect it wouldn't take long before one of the pumps slowed down.

You would be better off using some insulation to make it quiet.

10. dave_rp

dave_rp Astrea Snail

weather...

ummm.. didn't even think of that.. yea here in NH the winters are pretty cold -15 or so ... that kinda kills the idea. How about insulation what kind of insulation set ups have you guys seen. Can you put the pumps into some kind of sound reducing box? Wouldn't there be a heat issue with that?

11. dave_rp

dave_rp Astrea Snail

anymore thoughts on this?

ANymore thoughts on insulation? Would this be possible?

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

only a\c in my garage pgood, is when i open my beer fridge. and it gets opened alot. lol .

insulation could work dave. where do you live , how long of a run would it be , would it be run underground or above?