How to combine two tanks for a sump?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by duoc9119, Feb 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

So in the process of a new tank build, and need a sump for it. I have a 5.5 rimless and a 2.5 aga on hand that will be combined somehow to create the sump.

Since the 5.5 is rimless, I thought about using that as the display fuge and having it overflow down to the 2.5 with a 1 inch herbie style overflow. Going to keep it as quiet as possible and this was a good route.

The tank will need to be elevated a bit so water can go down to the 2.5. I am hoping it should be enough to hold back flow from the return.

Not sure if I want to keep it simple with just a hole for the 5.5 herbie or put in baffles and all that yet.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

would have 2 overflows into a common sump and then two returns. build a manifold with a ball valve on each return line and you will be golden. I can make you a terrible mspaint picture but i bet you get it.

4. greg31

greg31 Astrea Snail

Very interesting idea! Those are some tiny tanks. Good luck.

5. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Its just one display with a herbie overflow down to the fuge tank, and then an overflow down to the return tank, and a single return back up to the display.

Basically just going to be a sump that is separated into two tanks instead of one tank being separated into sections