Fish Tank Fountain

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by diverdan, Apr 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Hey everyone. I wanted to share a project that I just finished for a client. It is a fish tank fountain.
    The top, main tank is approximately 35g and the bottom, sump area is approximately 45g.
    The main tank is all encased by 3/8" glass and the front piece is 1/2" thick glass. The water fills the top and overflows the front glass and gives it an infinity look. So you are looking thought water to see the main tank. It actually looks really cool with fish in it. The main pump that feeds the tank is a quiet one 3000 that is dialed back to give it just the right amount of flow. Inside the canopy is a 36" dual t5 fixture.
    So I originally started setting it up for fresh water and then when my client saw my reef his wife wanted to switch to salt. Against all my suggestions they still wanted salt. Until I started getting him an updated price quote for equipment needed for salt and a timeline on when I could possibly put livestock in they changed their mind again and wanted fresh.
    Since the water cools quickly over the glass and the fountain part I added 2-250w heaters, one in the main tank and one in the sump area.
    Here are a few pictures and a video, hope you like it. Let me know if you have any questions.
    http://youtu.be/sWpZipkJ8iA
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365110360.202146.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365110391.843248.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365110425.700136.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365110445.424022.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Lol i guess you dont have to worry about a overflow from the main tank anymore this way.

Awsome concept love the look. I am assumeing its saltwater I guess salt creep might be a pita to take care of in the future.
    Now only to convine the wife to let me try

:D me and her :banghead: lol

4. diverdan

Lol. No overflow problems this way.
    They ended up going freshwater, I told them their deck would look like a salt flat after a few days. And cost they ended up going fresh. I wouldn't be able to keep that small of a tank stable enough for a reef like they wanted.

5. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

I have always wanted to convert my parents swimming pool into a reflecting pond with fish but they never did let me when I lived there

6. diverdan

That was smart of them. Lol. That would be cool though.

7. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Ik lol but I still wana do it Damn it my lottery wining list keeps getting bigger lok

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Very nice Dan.

Was that concept your idea?

You what they (I) say about people that talk about ideas?

Great Minds

11. diverdan

It was my idea. He only wanted a fountain but I thought it would look cool to have a tank on top. And then I thought that an infinity concept would be killer. It was.

Thank you. My mind is always going with ways to make things better and cooler.

I did definitely nail the concept I was going for with it though.

I wanted to do it bigger but the customer didn't want a 100g tank and a 200g sump. Oh well his loss.

12. diverdan

Thanks Cosmo!