first attempt at diy ato

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Lack-There-Of, Jun 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lack-There-Of

Lack-There-Of Bristle Worm

Hey all, just going to post pictures as I progress through my ato over the next few days while I wait for my overflow box, Just used an empty 2 gallon bucket that I got from work ( has an o-ring in the lid so when the top is on provides an air tight seal) drilled the two holes in the bucket one for water and the other for air at 1/4" dont know if that is big enough but was the biggest bit I had on hand but i dont see it being a problem because theres not going to be that much water travelling through it. Will post pics later today once I go get some plumbing equipment.;D

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

go for float switch... these are risky

4. Lack-There-Of

Lack-There-Of Bristle Worm

How if I may ask?
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-ca; SGH-T989D Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

5. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

just type ATO float switch reef tank on youtube and u will find 100z of vids

6. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

they are risky cause, the water can travel up the line for the air once it starts going, and just drain into the sump. float valve or float switch it the easiest most fool proof for DIY

7. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

This is easily fixed. The hardest part is getting everything air tight. You need your water effluent to be higher than the air intake by a larger margin. Incidentally this type of ATO is supposed to pull water into the air tube. Thats what creates the vacuum that slows the water travelling out of the bucket.

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Anything can fail but I feel this method would have a higher risk factor.

All of my ato units have been float switches and "knock on wood" have yet to have a flood.

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I speak from experience when i say that the air tight bucket method is shaky at best. I myself went with a 10 gallon rubbermaid that is placed on a shelf in the next room. i drilled a hole for a 1/4 inch water line and ran that through the wall and to my eshopps ato valve. 40 bucks and done. I havent had any issues with this, gravity cant fail that I know of.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eshopps_..._Pumps_Top_Off-Eshopps-QH03531-FIDPGT-vi.html

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I had planned to do this same ATO design for my 10g. It's simple, takes up little space (in the display) and it's inexpensive.

ATO switches/valves seem to be unreasonably expensive. Like the Eshopps link posted above...it is $30. The main part of the cost is paying for the acrylic clip. The float valve is also quite large, becoming a distraction when looking at the tank (straight-ahead or from above).

Is there an ATO switch that isn't an eyesore and doesn't cost a million bucks?

12. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

LOL, probably not.

The eshopps one is in my sump so it doesnt bother me and it was one of the best investments for my tank. the other costs were maybe 15 bucks or so for the tub, 1/4 line and valves. most of which i had laying around.