Eurobracing?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by CG, Jan 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CG

CG Bristle Worm

what exactly is euro braceing? and does anyone know what type of glass and where I can get it to build my own tank? theres probably a website out there....Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

From what I gather it is the way the aquarium is assembled and the way the top edge of the aquarium looks. I think they mean the top edge has no plastic brace around the outer edges like our tank have. All you would see is the edge of the beveled glass. I could be wrong but after doing a google search on aquarium euro bracing that is what I thought.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Eurbracing gets rid of the center brace that goes across the top of your tank, blocking your view and some light. Center braces are annoying with open top tanks.

Of course they have a purpose!  ;D
    Do NOT get rid of a center brace without doing your homework and doing a viable 'euro' brace or you tank may bow and bust from the additional pressure on the glass!  :eek:

Euro-bracing is typically a 3" - 4" perimeter of pretty thick glass across the top to provide strength without a center brace.

Here is a pic (cat is extra):

[​IMG]

If anyone finds a 'how to' out there, please post!
    :)

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Is that an Abyssinian cat?
    Thanks for the clearity...

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

The Das tank I had used a form of euro bracing. It had 2 1/2 glass that ran the length of the front and back but being that it was a flatback hex it had the side supports across the middle. The only drawback I saw was my astrea snails would climb up there and dry out and die. Never figured out why but it was frustrating

7. Christian

Christian Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Christian link=board=DIY;num=1073230709;start=0#5 date=01/07/04 at 07:16:32]Hey, that pic looks awefully familiar!!!!!!!  ; )
    [/quote]

BAHAHAA.. BUSTED.
    Nice pic! [smiley=hehe.gif]

Thanks for joining by the way .. got any tips on how to eurobrace a tank?

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

good way to get members here Matt. :D

11. Pro_builder

Pro_builder Plankton

it is a piece of glass or acrylic that is usually 2 times as thick as the tank material. Then it is run around the outside rim of the tank and maybe one through the middle. This is done to give you bigger access oles in the tank and make it still have the stregnth that it needs

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks, I am curious ... it's not one piece of glass is it? If not, how do you cut it for the sides, front and back and retain strength?

By the way, you have a great site, happy to see you here, welcome to 3reef and thanks for joining!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

matt