Electric rodi solenoid

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Thatgrimguy, Jun 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Would this work? Electronic Shut-off Solenoid Valve 115 Volt - FreshWaterSystems.com

I found this and was wondering if I could just wire a power cord to it and plug it in to my apex. I want to replace the float on the end of the line to my RO/DI system that I use to keep my ato filled, fill random buckets, and for my salt water mixing station with something electric that I can have better control over.

This way I can fill my ato bucket remotely with the use of a couple float switches and the remote access on my apex. So if something goes wrong with ATO I'm max dumping 4 gallons of freshwater (nothing to my 250g water volume) but I can still have unlimited water to my tank, just add a low water email with a float switch and then tell it to refill the bucket remotely.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Should be fine, coupled with a float switch.

Autotopoff sells the same thing, a little cheaper: AutoTopoff.com

1 person likes this.
  4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for!

You think there is a need for a double float on the top on the ato bucket? No snails or crud to randomly gunk it up... I guess worse case scenario is I get a bunch of fresh water all over my floor.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Just one float switch at the top should be fine.

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Dont mean to hijack this but i have a question. With that listed above, the solenoid, can i have that be triggered by their float switch. I top off my tank now manually by turning the valve on my BRS RODI when i see the water is below the normal mark, i have marked with tape.

If i could, i think this thread just saved my life. Cuz i will be going out of town coming up and having an ato that can top itself off straight from my rodi would be lovely.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

As long as you have an apex and a breakout box it's very easy. I would suggest doing it the way I am though. So you still have a limited water supply to the tank, but the ability to refill that amount. It lowers the inherent risk by a great deal.

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

i dont have an apex tho. could i get a jbj top off, plug in that solenoid to it and have it open when its triggered?

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I really don't know. Hopefully someone can chime in with some alternative methods for incorporating this device.

I had a specialized application already in mind and only needed to find the right piece of equipment to complete it.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

12. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

.... normally, I would agree with you AZ, but we use 110 AC with just about every aspect of our tanks. I have never heard of one of these solenoids leaking electricity into the supply line. Not saying it couldn't happen, but.....