Do-it-Yourself PVCer's

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by kzziboy, Nov 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

Just wondering how easy/hard this is to do. I've read this stuff sets pretty quickly so you have to be sure of the direction your fittings go. I bought some PVC Cement and I also found a PVC PRIMER. Is it necessary to use the primer?

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Yes it sets quick. Dry fit everything first so you know it goes together correctly then one by one glue the fittings. The primer helps adhere the glue so I always use it.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

My only advice is do it outside. I helped my LFS plumb their 750 reef display and I was loopy for a while after that lol

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Yes it is HIGHLY recommended to use the primer. I got a class on this if you will from a member of our local reef club who is a plumber.

The term primer is more a label that what it actually does. Its more a cleaning agent to help remove flims, sediments, residues and things that can adhere to the PVC. Think of it like using alcohol when gluing glass and things like that.

It just cleans the PVC surface to ensure better contact.

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I was always told to use primer. The thing with pvc is your right it dries quickly so dry fit everything you can and use unions and shut offs where you may need to replace pumps or anything like that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Great stuff here. 1. dry fit 2. primer 3. cement. It doesnt set like immediately so if you needed to bend it a hair to get it precisely where you want, you can. I only have plumbing experience making 100's of spud guns from my youth but i know that if the pvc can hold together with what i threw at it, then your tank will be FINE!

8. Click Here!

9. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

Is it pretty messy?

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

All of the PVC primer I have used is pretty low viscosity. So it will want to drip all over the place before it dries. I would put some cardboard or something to use as a liner in your work area. The glue itself is no problem. Its very easy to work with. But the primer will stain anything it touches if you dont clean it off right away.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

What norg said is quite true also cutting it can be messy too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Cutting can be a bit messy. I always take some fairly aggressive sand paper and sand down the fresh cuts. It gets rid of the burrs and makes for better adhesion.