Diy tank AND sump build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by needmorecowbell, Feb 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

M going to make a custom tank that will act as a sump for the bottom of my 30 gallon reef tank. Im gonna need all the help I can get because, quite honestly, I'm really new at this. I have made one 10 gallon sump before and hated it because o made it way to complex and the plumbing sucked.
    That being said, I was thinking I would do acrylic for this because I can't find 1/4 inch glass anywhere. I already have aquarium silicone and an overflow. I have some plumbing from my old sump but I would rather have flexible hose so I can't screw something up lol.I'll post a pic of it below. Its going to be about 10- 15 gallons and have a Refugium, skimmer, and a place for my other small equipment. I'd like to put a ato in it at some point but not right now.
    I hope this will help some people with their diy project because it will sure help me. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. needmorecowbell

Sorry, forgot the pic.

Attached Files:

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

What are the deminsions of your stand? Are you SURE a standard tank won't fit?

5. needmorecowbell

9.25wide 26 long 13.5 tall. I could get a custom made one from glasscages but its expensive and not exactly what I want.

6. SwimsWithFish

Ohh ok. Well acrylic sounds like a good idea.

7. needmorecowbell

Ya, I'm going to do that most likely. I'll need to get weldon and a syringe also.

8. Click Here!

9. needmorecowbell

Just checked out the prices for acrylic.. 30$ for one panel... Won't happen for a while.

10. SwimsWithFish

ouch:/ how about a small 5g sump? It'd be enough for a fuge and you could put your HOB filter on it.

11. needmorecowbell

That would be good but I don't know. there would be almost no room whenever I put my input pipe and output pump in there. I might look or something cheaper.