diy rock question

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Ddubya, Dec 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Ok so I would like to make some diy rock for myself,what would be the best materials to use for this as to prevent anything bad leeching in my system?

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Use portland cement (type I or type II). Crushed coral or crushed oyster shells. 5 to 1 part cement. Works great.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

"coral and reef" magazine had a good article and pics in their annual issue as well as some DIY supports made from PVC to make lr look more natural. They added crushed rock salt as well to the mix of portland crushed agg. And sand. It dissolves while curing and leaves behind craters and hollow pockets. I also suggest putting it in a mold. Fill a shallow pail with sand and make a negative image by removing the sand.

5. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the responses guys, and after dried I need to mix it in rodi water for 8 weeks correct?

6. insanespain

I used tap water. Rodi is overkill for curing. And its not a set time period, you wanna cure until the rock no longer raises the ph of the curing water.

7. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

I think you would also wanna use rock salt, it will dissolve while curing and make the rock porous

8. Click Here!

9. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Youtube has quite a few tutorials on that. Check them out here

It pretty much boils down to concrete+sand+some sort of aggregate+salt then cure.

Some people mix rocks and/or crushed coral as an aggregate. I'm sure there are other things you can use I would just make sure if you use rock there isn't anything in the mix that will leech into your water. I think there is a test you can do with vinegar and rock to see if it will leech. Generally if you put rinsed rock in vinegar and it bubbles don't use it.

10. insanespain

Crushed oyster shells are the cheapest and best to use. You can find it at farm supply stores. Its used to feed to chickens. I tried al8t of experiments and crushed oyster shells and portland cement made the best rock. Adding sand made the rock heavy and not as pourous. Adding rock salt is fine, but you don't need it to make pourous rock. I could pour water through all of my rock it was so pourous.

11. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

now to find a place that sells farm supplies in the city

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Check out the stickies on this board.