diy frag plugs cheap

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by tazzy695, Apr 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

hi all I am a cheap sob or so most people would say especialy when it comes to my fish tanks I am always looking to save a buck

but I have several friends that I go to frag swaps with and we are constantly looking for frag plugs but no lfs around me cary them :( so I decided a couple of weeks ago to try a few different methods of making them one was rulled out due to cost and this was pouring ceramic to expensive to run the kiln mostly

but here is my first sucessfull try at the frag plugs

#1 I went down to my local walmart and purchased some sculpy bake hard modeling clay (this bakes to a stone like texture in your oven) $5

#2 I got the clay worked to where I could roll it into a long roll about 1" diameter

#3 I took a sharp parring knife and cut disks out of the long roll

#4 I then took some of the remaining clay and rool a long 1/4" string out

#5 I cut this into about 1/2" to 3/4" pieces

#6 I then pressed the thin pieces onto the back of the disks to make a pin for them to be held in the egg crate frag racks so many of us use

#7 I had the oven preheated to 275 degrees farinheight and baked the plugs for aprox 20 min

#8 let cool and drop them in a container of the water to fully cure then they are ready to use I let them cure for 2 days in some fresh water then I drop them in the salt tank to cycle through and become like live rock

2. Click Here!

3. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

oh yea other ideas I have are pouring some tile grout into a mold

and maby some other materiels like cement into a mold

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

NO CEMENT! it will cause your PH to raise really fast. Otherwise, good idea!

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Keep us updated on how they work out....

6. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

well so far the ones made out of the sculpy are doing great I did a test batch of 4 plugs to see how well they would work and they work great

my biggest issue I was worried about since the clay is 100% non toxic was having it disolve in the water and they have maintained their shape and if anything gotten harder

I actualy have a frag of zoa glued to one along with another frag of anthiela glued to another

as for the comment about the cement causing ph issues I already knew about this and was already planning on curing them for about 2 weeks or untill the ph stabalizes and they are not affecting it any more

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Unless the pottery clay is glazed then you better be careful in that you be putting algae food or different minerals into the water I have ours made from concrete and soaked in vinegar to lower the alkali in the cermet.. 1 in cement squares and or plastic Golf Tee's

8. Click Here!

9. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

yea i understand that I just didn't want the expense of using a glazing or the added expense of having to fire a kiln for several hours to make the ceramic version

my next batch will probly be either cement or the tile grout

the biggest issue is beeing able to mix it super thin without loosing to much strength