Diy cree led ideas

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by markie360, Dec 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markie360

markie360 Astrea Snail

Well guys night rida has made me wanna try to do this led. Right now i currently run a odyesea 215 2 54 actinics 2 10,000 k 54. Iam wanting to try to get the shimmering effect on my 55 gallon reef and i had several ideas

ecoexotic stunner led 2 but i have never heard anything about them $100

Current power brite led strip (not sure about this one but it is an option) $100

DIY cree led 4 royal blue and 4 white. about $140

Will any of these options give me the shimmering effect what can i do besides hallides i really cant buy a new fixture and chiller now. So anyways share experiances with any of these products and let me know what guys think is the best way to go.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

For that, do the stunner strips. They're quite popular...

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Any of the LED's should get you the shimmer effect. The stunner strips would probably be the best choice, for cost purposes.

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

the stunners will increase the actinic output a good deal and will assist in bringing out the colors of your corals but I dont think you will get the shimmer effect with 2 even 4 stunner strips - the LED they use are not strong enough.

The ecoexotic panorama will definitely give you the shimmer effect (but are $100 each). I have 2 of these along with a T5 Tek fixture w/4bulbs and I am very pleased with the added LEDs. I also run the stunner strips to provide some more actinic spectrum but they really dont do anything for the shimmer effect.

6. ilovereefing

ilovereefing Astrea Snail

shimmer effect i get with just 12 leds on my sunpod, the room is dark though. Im sure with the Cree LEDs you will as they're stronger.

7. element

element Fire Worm

how do you get to 140 with 8 crees?

8. Click Here!

9. Milad

Milad Plankton

$140 for 8 CREE?!?! where you pricing that at
    you get them off www.ledgroupbuy.com for 8 high end ones $35 before any drivers

so lets say driver is $20
    wiring $4
    heatsink $20
    thats maybe $80 and then you know they work well compared to the other options.