DIY Canopy Questions

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by meagan1823, Jul 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

I plan on making a canopy for my 34 gallon red sea max. the previous owner kind of rigged it and it doens't look as nice so I just want to remove the top and make a canopy to cover up the top.

Anyways I have a few questions before I get started.
    what type of wood? pine?
    does it need to be pressure treated or no?
    what about water proofing?
    any other hints or tips?

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

any wood is fine but it must be (painted or stained or not) then have a waterproof sealant put on for splashes and what not.

4. jeremya

jeremya Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm a huge fan of pine for its looks and how easy it is to work with. I made my canopy out of oak and teak just because I had some, but I probably wouldn't do it again (it was to hard to work with). For sealant I used a Marine Polyurethane that was designed for boat decks. I would use at least 2-3 coats with light sanding in between and steel-wool after the last coat. Makes for a really deep seal and a nice glossy finish.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I am in the process of building one for my 55 gallon. I am using 1/4 birch wood (lightweight and low strain on tank) that I will stain AND coat with a polyurethane (or Spar Urethane for decking). I am painting the interior white (AND coating it with polyurethane) to provide reflectance for any stray light.

Attached Files: