DIY 10g Tank Stand

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by vawdka, Jan 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Tank stand I built this last weekend for my 10g build. Click here if you are interested in seeing that thread.

Construction of top and legs. The top is just 1/2" board I cut 1/8" larger than the bottom of my tank. The top support is sort of an "H" design where I cut the supports to size. You can see how the legs are attached by the one leg shown and the legs are 32" long.
    [​IMG]

The bottom of the tank stand has these adjustable feet and support brackets. The legs will be attached in the same manor.
    [​IMG]

This is what the tank first looked like on the stand. I had a few 2x10's laying around and they made for nice shelves when I cut a pieces just wide enough. Notice the wire mess? I couldn't deal with that so I'll show you how I fixed that next ;)
    [​IMG]

In this pic you can see the eye hooks I put down one of the legs. Also up close with all the wires.
    [​IMG]

This was the finished product after the zip ties were used. I also put everything on a surge protector and put it under the bottom shelf.
    [​IMG]

Finally, the almost finished stand. I want to add trim around the top, fill the holes with wood filler, then stain it. I can do this while it is set up as long as I am careful. ;D Also the light is on so you can tell it is actually plugged in. But I'm not in a huge hurry because it functions fine as is.
    [​IMG]

This was pretty simple and almost completely made of 2x4s. Could probably be made for many other sizes of tanks as well with a similar design. It's a really simple design.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

very cool looking stand. Something different. I like it.

4. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Looks nice and clean considering that it is just 2x4s! I like the wiring solution, but you might want to consider some type of drip loop before getting to the surge protector, or getting it off the floor somehow.

5. vawdka

I have it up off the floor, you can't see it in the pictures very well but I have the surge protector laying sideways under the shelf. The plugs facing the wall and there is a board under it keeping it off the floor. I just sat a scrap piece of wood there for now but it works. ;D

6. Peppie

Peppie Bristle Worm

My hat is off to you for jumping in and building this stand your self.
    I dont want to sound like a Debbie Downer but you are running a real risk of your tank hitting the floor with your stand design. There is nothing preventing your stand from lateral racking. I know it only holds approx 80 lbs but that weight is at the top of the stand.

I strongly suggest you add a piece of plywood to the back of your stand. Cover the entire back with it . glue it and screw it. The sides should also have the same done to them.

Just trying to save a real possible mess for ya.

7. vawdka

I promise it will hold. I, weighing over 200 lbs, sat on top of it shifted my weight in all directions and tried to break it and could not. You're not a downer, I appreciate your concern :)

I wouldn't risk it if I thought it wouldn't be safe. It is rock solid ;D

I am however thinking of doing a diy LED system soon. If I do, I will add an light hanging system on to the stand. It may look horrible or it may look good. Only time will tell if it happens.