Clear Mesh Jump Stopper

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by reefmonkey, Sep 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

This isn't original but it's so easy I had to show it and do a little write up.

I'll be keeping fish that are jumpers in my 75 gallon and wanted to add a jump stop screen. Total cost was around $21.00.

[​IMG]

I bought the 1/4" clear netting from BRS... $9.60 with my PR discount. I have enough left over screen off the sheet I bought to build 4 more frames of the same size I built tonight.

48" window screen frame kit... $10.98 @ Wal-Mart. They only carry white but I didn't care about that because the hood hides them anyhow. It comes with enough aluminum frame and rubber spline to build two screens of this size. You can buy a dark grey kit at Lowes for the same price.

Extra pack of 4 frame corners...$1.98 @ Wal-Mart. The kit only comes with 4 so if you are building more than one screen you'll need extra frame corners for each screen.

Tools needed:
    Hacksaw
    Spline tool ($2.98 @ Wal-Mart if you don't own one. I do)
    Razor blade
    Measuring Tape
    Sharpie

[​IMG]

I don't have wires entering the tank so I wanted the screen frame to seat completely inside the rim of the tank. If you have wires you'll want to cut the stiles (front to back pieces) about 1/8" shorter.
    Once you get your measurement subtract 1.5" off of the length of each cut to compensate for the plastic frame corners width.
    When you mark the cut, make two marks. This makes keeping free hand cuts square so much easier.
    [​IMG]

For these screens I needed 4 pieces 20.75" and 4 @ 15".
    [​IMG]

Once the pieces are cut add the plastic corners and check the frame for fit on the tank. Now is the time to trim length if it's needed.
    [​IMG]

I don't have pics of the next steps but I'll try to explain them in detail.

Lay the frame on top of the netting so that there is about 1.5" over lap on all 4 sides. Mark the netting and cut this piece out of the roll.

Lay the frame on your work surface with the spline trough up. Line up the netting over the frame by using the line created by the rows of nylon line that make up the netting.
    Start on a short side. Lay the spline in the trough and slowly work down the length, rolling the spline into the trough with the tool and keeping the netting running in a straight, square line.
    The spline will be one continuous piece from start to end.
    Turn the first corner and do the same as you did on the first side. Don't try to take up to much of the slack in the netting yet. Just keep the line running square.
    Once you turn the second corner you can begin pulling the netting a little more tight.
    The final edge is where you will take the remaining slack out of the net. DO NOT pull it to tight or you will warp the frame!
    Cut the spline so that it meets the beginning end flush.
    [​IMG]
    Trim the excess netting off with the razor blade.
    [​IMG]
    Install and sleep soundly knowing you won't have any more carpet surfing fish.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I did the same thing to my 225. Good DYI instructions and picture progress reporting.

1 person likes this.
  4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Looks really good!

1 person likes this.
  5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks. I'll have to wait on the other side until I make it back to get more corners. The wife's Chihuahua mistook the pack of 4 for a chew toy. :(

6. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

Good post, I did the same thing after losing a few fish from jumping. Best idea considering it doesn't bring down oxygen or raise the temp, but keeps the fish save!

1 person likes this.
  7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I will definatly be doing this on my 75 gallon but have you noticed any light blocking frim the screen at all?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Great write up! I have the same lids on my 90 and I love them. Cheap and easy!

1 person likes this.
  10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Looks good. Pictures make a lot of difference when it comes to internet how-to's. Thanks for the writeup, reefmonkey! :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Pennstatereefer

Pennstatereefer Feather Duster

Awsome diy Monkey! I think I might make a set for the 55 I am setting up.. Going to Wallyworld today.

1 person likes this.
  12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

No that is the beauty of the clear mesh. Doesn't block light enough to effect anything. Look at the pic and you will notice there aren't shadows and the covered side is just as bright as the uncovered.

Thanks Kacy :)

Thanks RS. I'd like to have had some showing how to put the spline and make it tight. Maybe when I build the other screen.

Cool. Thanks. You can't find the netting at Wal-Mart. You'll have to go online for the clear 1/4" mesh.