Can you get scratches off an acrylic tank?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by chadjwil, Feb 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chadjwil

chadjwil Astrea Snail

The outside I mean...so can you?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sostoudt - please expand on your answer ? how do you do it

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

By using any of the commercial scratch removers.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

awesome - and thanks guys - I have Googled and even found one that claims you can do scrathes inside - without removing live stock

helpful 7 year old - algae magnet - sand base for my banana = foggy areas on my acrylic front panel

8. Click Here!

9. Fusion

Fusion 3reef Sponsor

how deep are the scratches?? 3M makes a scratch removal series of wet sanding papers (i forget the name?) that is pretty good but it goes on a orbital sander 5" disks hook & loop (velcro) is the best. or - micro-surface finishing products WWW.micro-surface.com. they have similar pads , hook & loop, but they have more of em in their series. i believe it goes from 1800 µ grit up to 12000µ. you wet sand the scratches out. if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then its deep enough to start with like the 3600 and progressively move up to the 8000 and then the 12000.

its a pain in the ass and takes some time but can be done by hand or orbital sander. as well as underwater. i have used an orbital sander underwater (pnuematic NOT electric ;~) lol) but it definately takes some practice. for the outside for the final buff you want to use like a carbona wax or something to get out the micro scratches. definately does work either way...by hand youll get a work out...wax on...wax off!

as a daily or weekly ?? acrylic cleaner...Brillianize Company (800) 445-9344 is the best it contains no alcohol which is very bad for acrylic containing water. if youve ever seen crazing well thats what its from..either bad job with manufacturing or a major screw up when cleaning and polishing.

The most popular that is all over the place is the Novus stuff. People use it, i wouldnt, as it contains alcohol. and if you taking care of someone elses really expensive $5k, 10K - $100K acrylic box filled with aquatics, well its just not worth it.