bulk head wrench

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Nikon Samurai, May 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nikon Samurai

Nikon Samurai Bristle Worm

Does anyone know where i can get a bulk head wrench? I can't seem to find one online. The LFS said he has one i can barrow but dosn't know where to get one either. I'm looking for the one shaped like a Z with a 1.5 on one side and a 2" on the other. If i understand right the one i'm looking for is made for oceanic aqariums.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I've never heard of a bulkhead wrench. I was always told that you hand tightened them. If you go too hard tight, you can break the nut part of it. I've done it. They pop when they break. Hand tighten only..:)

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Mine came with the new overflow kit (the tubes) It was in there.

Honestly just borrow it from the LFS....I have used mine 2x and that was when I was changing the sumps..other then that I have not had to use it so I wouldnt think you would use it much

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

This is my understanding as well, mine has been fine for 8 months with only firm hand tightening.

6. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

just use channel loc pliers, like others say they only need to be snug

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You could just use a pair of pliers or an adjustable wrench. I just hand tighten mine as well. Snug it down the go 1/4 turn more.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's how I did mine. A wrench is handy for snugging, but nothing beats the hand for control.

Remember, these devices utilize a rubber or neoprene gasket to achieve water tite. Tools might only flatten the gasket too much. The general rule of thumb is hand tight, then another 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn. You shouldn't require more than a channel lock to achieve this.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Local plumbing supply or even a pool supply they are called a spud or a spanner wrench depends on who you are talking with pool supply will bust you .

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I only hand tighten too. When I used a wrench to snug them down, they always squished the silicon gasket and caused leaks. Tighten with your fingers until it won't turn any more, it should be good enough. :)

12. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Home Repot has them in the plumbing/pipefitting tools area, $15 or so. But like all others say, snug is key. If you have good wrists/fingers you'll be fine. If you're arthritic or have CTS or something, a spanner would do.