72 gallong Bow Front Canopy

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by fishy62, Mar 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Just wanted to post a thread on how to make a canopy for a 72 gallon bow front.

I only have pictures of the finished product.

1.) Run to home depot and buy 2 sheets of 1/2" or 3/4 thick plywood preferably a nicer wood. I used birch.

2.) Measure the tank and cut pieces accordingly.
    - (2) Legs 13"x12"
    - (2) Shelving 48 1/4"L x 11.5" W
    - (2) 1"x2"x6"
    *Additional Step
    - I used to shelves to attach my AI lights. I router cut pockets for the lights to sit in.

3) I glued and used trim nails to attached each piece together.

4.) 1 1/4" x 48 1/4" piece for curve. Trace the curve on your tank and use a jig saw to cut it out.

5.) Cut three pieces of 1"x2" at 11 1/4" length.

6.) attached each piece of the 1x2 to the cut out curve. 1 at each corner and one in the middle. make sure you align the word with the curve or when you go bend the plywood over it you won't get a clean look.

Thats it for now i will be bending a piece of birch 1 ply today after work and reinforce everything that might be a little loose.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Sorry i don't know why my pictures go rotated around. Also, notice the bottom of Purple up and my kids book holding up the one shelve. I am going to add a support strip either between the shelves or add a leg.

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Do you have to build a mold in order to "curve" it?

5. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Im going to take the front end of the pieces with the curve plywood and the three legs and apply glue to the edge. Then i will take the 1 ply or whatever i decided will work and look nice and start bending it around it . I will take a clamp strap and use that to tighten the plywood.

I might be wrong on the "clamp strap" i forgot what its called. But i will upload more picture today.

6. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Here are the latest pictures i took yesterday. If you have any questions PM me.

Attached Files:

7. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Newest Picture and finished product.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

Looks great really good job

10. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Nice build! I'm doing a hood for my 36gal bow. I just got the LED kit and doing the diy this weekend. I plan on using 1/4" luan on a bend then adding vertical runs of pine slat that I will stain to match the stand I built.

11. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

The hardest part about this build was the bottom left corner and bottom right corner of the front. They just would not bend. I am trying to come up with an idea to keep them bend with the shape of the tank. I will let you know how this goes.