Scheduled power outage tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by phal.repth, Feb 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Tomorrow, there will be a power outage from 8 AM to around 2 or 3 PM...That's a long time to be without a electricity. Especially if you're a fish...I have a tank of fancys and plecos, and they will be without a filter, heater, bubbles..etc. Can anyone give me hints on what to do? There's no guarantee that the power will be back on at the said time...I'm not sure what to do.

Let me know if you think of anything! :-/

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Phal repth

if you are some place nice and cold? as your location indicates
    temp of water may be an issue (are you using heater? I assume so as plecs dont like it to cold)
    if so you can boil water if you have gas? and allow it to cool a little and place in plastic bottles and float in your tank to maintain temp

oxygen is another potential issue with no water movement - so if you can get battery operated air pumps near you (fishing tackle shops have these for keeping live bait alive in the creels or boxes )

the good news is that I have experienced several power outs of 8 hours and never noted any parameter issues once the power went back on, and that was at a time I used external cannister filters and did worry that the bacteria would die off and my filter would be useless ( it didnt happen)

so try and keep the temp stable and introduce air - is what I would do for this power out

Steve

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Cant add anything else to this, this man knows too much.;)

luna

1 person likes this.