Ranchu tilts when resting

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by fantails, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fantails

fantails Plankton

Hi. I bought a new ranchu for my wife and we noticed that when he is in a still position that he starts to tilt forwards. Is this normal or do we need to do something about it??

YouTube - Happy and Casper.MPG

Thanks Michael

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Fantails

I have had a little experience with the fancy cold water species
    and IME they are prone to certain conditions that are less likely in more streamline varieties
    they do suffer sometimes from an excessive dry food diet and this causes gases to form which cant escape as easily from fishes of these more rounded body shapes
    these trapped gases cause the back half of the fish to want to float upwards

Ranchu also lack a lot of the finnage that other fancy gold fish have, and as such they cant use fins to maintain stability or orientation as a gold fish for example would do to compensate for the issue

as long as its feeding well and generally in good health , IMHE its not to much of a problem

I would increase the number of non dry food feedings, including blood worm, frozen or fresh , daphnia, tubifex etc live or frozen, rather than the dry option

Steve

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

You worry quite a lot about how your fish rest. I would spend less time worrying and more time simply enjoying them. As long as they're swimming and look healthy I'm sure they'll be fine. You should see how some of my fish rest. My Anthias is a bit bizarre, heh.

5. fantails

fantails Plankton

I will start to enjoy them. I do not feed my fish dry commercial food. I make homemade gel and frozen foods. Thanks any way for all your advice people. I appreciate it a lot. Thanks Mike

1 person likes this.
  6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Frozen foods are good :) Typically more nutritious and fish enjoy it more in my experience.