Goldfish Massacre

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Junger, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Junger

Junger Plankton

I had three goldfish in my five gallon tank and my friend purchased an algae eater (black fish with long tail that sucks on the sides, don't know the specific name). He was putting algae pellets in the bottom to feed the algae fish and I noticed the water was getting a little dirty but nothing too bad. Yesterday, after seeing them swim around 10 minutes earlier, I noticed all three goldfish were dead, 2 at the bottom and 1 floating at the top. It was a really horrifying/sad sight.

Now, we have the option to start over and I am thinking going with another kind of fish. I have the 5 gallon hex tank and want to fill it with a few freshwater fish but I want to avoid goldfish because of the mess they make. Does anyone have any suggestions of some cool looking fish I can fill it with?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Junger

the fish probably died as a result of polutants in the water resulting from their own wastes

what filtration system do you have on the tank ? a simple internal cannister filter would OK

for a 5 gallon hex tank, I would recomend some tropical freshwater fish, but that means you would need to add a heater/ thermostat to your set up

tetras- neons, glowlights ,serpea, etc - stay small and are very colourful
    Danios - zebra , pearl - active fish for upper layer of the tank

if you dont want to add heater - white cloud mountain minnows can withstand temperate conditions and I have kept them in unheated tanks in UK

or you could go for a couple of pairs of fancy guppies or a Trio, 1 male and 2 females - and as they are live bearers , you should experience the joy of seeing baby fish appear in your tank (need some fine leaved floating plants to help babies hide)

4. Jaws_flounder

Jaws_flounder Plankton

You are waaaaaayyyyyyyy to over crowded in that tank. Did u ever bother to resesrc before u buy??? Those goldfish each need 10-30 gallons and the pleco needs 55+ gallons. What the hell?