ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Blue Ringed Angel

Skin: Mint
M-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Another question on this topic:

Looking at substrate for the tank, would it be beneficial to the plants and the goldfish to do a mixture 50/50 of small/medium river pebbles and 50% flourite?

My concern is that the flourite is too rough and jagged, and that only 50% would or would not be effective to help plants grow? Or in a GF is there enough nutrients (except for trace minerals which will still be dosed) to sustain the plant growth/health with NO flourite?

TIA
M-Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Blue Ringed Angel

M-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond reputeM-Ocean Man has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Bump for some FW GF love!?

Also, is there a "better" way to cycle a FW GF tank than just adding some gravel and plants from the established tank? Is there a way to "jumpstart" like we do with shrimp in a reef?

hopefully someone knows about this stuff!?!?!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Blue Ringed Angel

3reefer 

gallery

Last attempt to see if someone else out there knows about Goldfish and the most appropriate substrates to use when doing a planted goldfish tank.

Thanks for looking . . .
Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
3reef Moderator

Skin: Dark
2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

I think you will be fine with the riverstone alone. It sounds as if everything is going very well in the tank. I wouldn't change a thing until you see it needs to change.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
3reef Sponsor

ReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Ocean Man View Post
Another question on this topic:

Looking at substrate for the tank, would it be beneficial to the plants and the goldfish to do a mixture 50/50 of small/medium river pebbles and 50% flourite?

My concern is that the flourite is too rough and jagged, and that only 50% would or would not be effective to help plants grow? Or in a GF is there enough nutrients (except for trace minerals which will still be dosed) to sustain the plant growth/health with NO flourite?

TIA

You can use laterite instead of the fluorite, there are versions that come in small round balls so your gf wont hurt their mouths.
ReefPlayground is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
3reef Sponsor

ReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond reputeReefPlayground has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

also look at

FLUVAL EBI STRATUM SHRIMP SUBSTRATE
ReefPlayground is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #17
Blue Ringed Angel

3reefer 

gallery

Ok thanks everyone!!!

I think I will go with a mix of the round laterite and river pebbles.

I agree with you 2in10 on the "if it aint broke" logic - but I want to try to do several more slightly demanding plant species in the tank this time around.

You guys are great!

I will post pics in a week or so when this bad boy is cycling.

Click Here!