ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Plankton

Skin: Mint
fantails will become famous soon enoughfantails will become famous soon enoughfantails will become famous soon enough

gallery
Default Fantails rest alot

Hi. I would like to know what would cause my fantails to rest a lot.

I have 3 fantails, 40 gal, 3 aqua clear filters 550 gph, temp 75, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, 2 sponge filters, bare bottom tank, round air stone, I fill my aquarium full

This is a video of my setup. I took this video when they were swimming around:

This video show that they rest a lot:

I would appreciate some advice. Michael

Last edited by fantails; 01-01-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: fix youtube video for viewing - read the FAQ to know how.
fantails is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Plankton

fantails will become famous soon enoughfantails will become famous soon enoughfantails will become famous soon enough

gallery

Sorry I posted in the wrong section. Thanks

Last edited by fantails; 01-01-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
3reef Moderator

Skin: Dark
2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Your temperature is too high, should be around 70 or a little lower. The flow is too great for a fancy finned fish, causing it to need to rest.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
Plankton

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Your temperature is too high, should be around 70 or a little lower. The flow is too great for a fancy finned fish, causing it to need to rest.
I will lower the temp. What should the flow be. I have 3 filters 2 run at 200 gph and the third one runs at 150 gph. I have temp shut down my Aqua Clear 30 sow the flow now is 400 gph.

The GAB, koko's they say warmer for fancies. When you read about goldfish like fantails they say that they are a cold water fish but most people say to heat the tanks so confusing so I figured that you guys would know. When I lived in my old house I never used a heater and they had seemed more active. When I moved to my new house I started to use a heater and they seem warm and lazy now. One of my rooms will go down to about 66 in the winter so I will keep the heater set at maybe 68 or 69. I will drop the temp 2 or 3 degrees each day till it goes down.

I really want to get this resolved. Thanks Mike
Thanks Mike

Last edited by fantails; 01-02-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
KingFish

Matt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantails View Post
When I lived in my old house I never used a heater and they had seemed more active. When I moved to my new house I started to use a heater and they seem warm and lazy now.
I think your observations answer your question. Good plan on lowering the temp.
Matt Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Plankton

gallery

I have 2 fantails and 1 fancy fantail. Can they both live in cooler water or do fancies need warmer? I have already started to lower the temp.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
3reef Moderator

2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantails View Post
I have 2 fantails and 1 fancy fantail. Can they both live in cooler water or do fancies need warmer? I have already started to lower the temp.
They all should be fine in the lower temp.

You could probably use only one of your filters for flow in the tank just fine.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Plankton

gallery

I just wanted to let you know that my tank temp is at 69 F and I did remove 1 aqua clear 30 pump so now I have only 2 pumps running at 400 gph. My fish seem to be swimming much better now. I will monitor them today and see what happens. I really do believe that goldfish do better at lower temps also.

I did notice also that my ryukin when the water was warmer he started to change colors. He was loosing his orange on his pectorial fins and they were turning white and he was loosing his black strips on his fins. Since I lower the water to 69 his colors are all coming back now and he is turning more black his body and head and he now looks like he has a black moustache.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
KingFish

Matt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Rogers has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Glad to hear it!
Matt Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Montipora Capricornis

mattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond reputemattheuw1 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I kept a bunch of goldfish at warmer temps. Weren't active at all. Got extremely fat quick and died.

People tell you to get a heater so the temp doesn't fluctuate too much. You want consistent temps so if you can turn your heater to 70 vs removing it, that would be preferred. During the course of a day (without a heater) your temp can vary more than 8 degrees. Constant temp flucs put a dent in the immune system of any fish. Goldfish like it around 70-72.
mattheuw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!