Why Won't Nobody Do Anything About PETCO?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by clownfish, Dec 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Why Won't Anybody Do Anything About PETCO?

I went to PETCO today to buy some stuff for my cat, so I decided to take a glance at their "aquatics" department....what I saw was very disturbing and sad....I could see their fish (mostly salties) barely breathing...they were gasping with every breath they took...some were just lying at the bottom of the tanks nearly dead...some floating, some...I don't even know how to explain it...it was...sickening...

After seeing this, I started to wonder, what can we do or who can we call so PETCO can be told to take better care of their live stock? I mean, is there anybody out there who could actually gives these A-holes a fine for this? Isn't that animal cruelty?....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If people stopped dealing with them then they would go away don't buy cat or dog or bird supplies there .. People eat fish the world over so they are not looked upon as what some consider a pet.. But more of a food product .. :)

4. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

It is a shame, I was there yesterday looking at goldfish and every other fish had anchor worms on them. Every time I see sick fish I tell the person in charge and they think I am a wise guy. Its the same as wal-mart, people dont know any better and they support these hack shops buying fish for there kids. I buy my fish online and I spend money with people who love fish like I do.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

My Sons ex wife killed a entire tank of corals yrs ago she poured liquid soap or bleach into a 55 reef I had helped him to set up . Cops came and he damn near went to jail for yelling at her she was mad because he set at the shop and had a beer with a few of the guys and was about 2 hrs late getting home .. He went to the cops and tried to file a complaint about killing the fish as animal cruelty.. Nothing anyone wanted to hear about.. he lives about 30 mikes as the crow files from Micheal Vick .. So I sued her civilly :) and won guess LOL But it was the principle of it. I had given him the coral fish and entire system..

1 person likes this.
  6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

some stores hire an outside angency to operate their systems, maybe you can ask the company to be hired as an outside source.

1 person likes this.
  7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I do not go into Petco anymore, the few times in the past that I have gone in I have had the same experiences as are mentioned here. I purchased a few Cichlids there a few years ago and within 2 days the entire tank had ich, some of these fish were in that tank for several years with no problem. Thank goodness it was not one of the salt/reef tanks and a little mal green solved the problem. Never again...I agree not supporting them in any way including purchasing pet food or supplies of any kind is a good idea. Enough said...

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Not for nothing, but you want someone to do something about petco....but you shop there? Don't shop there and you're doing a huge part.

1 person likes this.
  10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

theres so many horror stories about petco all over the net that you could fall asleep every day reading them and never get to the end.as long as fish stores have a big mark up on items,petco will survive.$15 for a clown at petco where they neglect animals or $35 for a healthy clown at a reputable store.the consumer will by the sick clown for $15 every time.

1 person likes this.
  11. jv3679

jv3679 Plankton

Lets all call PETCO

Just got an idea, why not call PETCO at 888-824-PALS and tell them about how they are treating the fish and how we will stop buying from them if they continue. 3reef has the members who can make a different. Give me your thoughts on the idea.

jv3679

12. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I always shopped at PETCO for my dog and cat needs, it never occurred to me to look at the aquatics dept....I've decided to stop buying there all together, I'll buy whatever I can at Safeway for my dogs and cats and the rest I can't find, I'll buy online.

1 person likes this.