Why Fish make better pets than Dogs and Cats

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Delmarva_Paintball, Nov 27, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Delmarva_Paintball

Delmarva_Paintball Plankton

This is for my wife, who prefers the furry pets.

Why Fish make better pets than Dogs and Cats.
    1. Fish don't shed.
    2. I've never had to wipe muddy fin prints off my clothes.
    3. I've never been out riding around my neighborhood at 2am looking for my fish.
    4. Fish don't sniff the butts of my guests.
    5. I've never had to scrub warm fish barf out of a carpet.
    6. I've never squashed a fish poop on the way to the fridge in the middle of the night.
    7. My fish don't keep up the whole neighborhood with their damn incessant barking.
    8. A fish has never made me feel itchy or sneezy.
    9. I don't need to worry about my fish stealing my dinner when I'm not looking.
    10. A fish has never eaten a hole in my sofa.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

What about fur in the food?
    Shoes that are shredded?
    Fish won't share your bed and slowly work you to the floor.
    An unexpected pregnancy is a fun thing in the aquarium.
    Fish will not trip you going up or down the stairs.
    Fish are not jealous of the new baby.
    you never worry about vicious fish getting loose and attacking children in the neighborhood.
    Gravel vac or pooper scooper---discuss.
    The only time you get wet is when you want to not 3 am in the driving rain or blizzard.
    Fish seldom "mount" leg.
    you won't walk in the kitchen for seconds and find your fish eating out of the pot. (damn I didn't know cats like spagetti)
    thanks,
    Phil
    Proud owner of multiple tanks, a basset hound, blind cat and chinchilla's (ps I in herited the chin's anybody in the are want them and the 2 cages thay live in?)

4. J_Luchinski

J_Luchinski Plankton

Dogs will do all that stuff IF you let them and don't train them. I have 2 German Shepards and the only thing that sucks about them is the shedding. Other then that there AWESOME. And my 2 year old loves playing with them. It doesn't matter what kind of pet you own, your still going to have to clean up after them. Granted you will probably never step in fish poop, but that's why you train your dog to let you know when they got to go. I hate cleaning the tanks, but it's worth it in the end. But it all comes down to personal preference, and in the end my fish aren't going to scare off an intruder, or protect my family.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i think i would rather step in it then accidentally suck it in my mouth trying to start a siphon.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Yea but how about walking in the basement to find out the the ATO has ran all night and the carpet is slushy......pros and cons with both.

7. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

lol, reading this with my yorkie-poo sleeping between my arms looking at the empty fish tank :-(

8. Click Here!

9. crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy Astrea Snail

Personally I'll take fish and dogs. No cats please. The key thing with dogs is training. When my dog wants in or out of the house, he has his special bark that isn't quite loud enough to piss anyone off and then when you come to open the door he's right there ready to come or go from doing his business. He also isn't a fan of furniture, which is good in itself. The only bad thing about a trained dog is the shedding, and some possible begging for food. Mainly hair everywhere.

And for the record, I HAVE had a mouthful of fish "debris" when starting a siphon the old fashioned way. I'm not sure if the debris was poop or old food...either way it was nasty.

10. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Biggest problems i have with cats in my house

Hair every ware including in food on baby bottles ect.
    knocking things all over this house that my kids get in trouble for
    jumping in and out windows and scratching and meowing at doors
    running past and tripping people
    ripping up couches with there claws
    pissing on every thing every time they get mad

11. crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy Astrea Snail

Yep. I'll always pet and play with other people's cats...but I'm never going to get one myself. I get enough people in my house staring at me like I'm an idiot :D

One of the best and worst things about dogs, however, is defined in one word. Puppy. It's that range between 0-1 and 0-3 years old that will wreak all sorts of havoc on anything and everything...and yet be too darned cute to get really mad at. Less shedding, but more pooping. Less sleeping around being fat and lazy, more jumping up and down and pretty much walking on the ceiling. It's a win-win-loose-loose situation.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    1 person likes this.