Where do I get Acrylic? I'm going to build a tank as a hobby

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Rogues, Dec 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

Besides my 90 I've decided in the next few months when i'm home I want to build a water tight enclosure for fish. I need to know where I can buy [SIZE=-1]Acrylic. Where you guys get it from.

Btw would glass be cheaper?

(yeah I know this sounds crazy)

Here's my cut sheet:

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Tank Information:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
    Material = Acrylic
    Tank Height = 30"
    Tank Width = 47"
    Tank Length = 94 "
    Acrylic Thickness = 1/2"
    Approximate Gallons = 574

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Cut List:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
    Bottom = 94 " x 47"
    Front = 94 " x 29 1/2"
    Back = 94 " x 29 1/2"
    2 Sides = 29 1/2 " x 46"
    Top Front/Back brace = 93 " x 2"
    Top Sides brace = 46 " x 2"
    [/SIZE]

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I think for several reasons you might be better served with glass. Glass is a better heat exchanger, and if you're "close" to needing a chiller, acrylic would put you in need, where glass may give you a few more degrees lattitude. Glass is much harder to scratch. Acrylic scratches more easily. Acrylic bows more than glass, but is more resistant to breakage. Glass would be cheaper for the thickness you need. A 90" long tank in acrylic would require a thickness of at least 1/2" or more, and that gets VERY expensive. In fact, Reef_Guru is currently building a 300 gallon tank of acrylic. If I'm not mistaken, he's using 1" thick acrylic. That's pricey stuff for sure!! He used acrylic because glass would have been too heavy to lift. Finally, acrylic develps tiny cracks over the long term (but I don't know if it's still prone to such cracking when the sheets are so thick). Glass does not.

Unless you have a very good reason for DIY, you might consider buying a tank instead of building one. I know it takes the DIY out of the picture, but a manufactured tank is a warranteed tank. A first DIY tank, while fulfilling to say you did it--is perhaps not the best first time foray into the DIY world. Many risks--but if you're feeling sporty and "just gotta do it!" then have at it. Just be sure to keep us all in the loop with plenty of pics!

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

5. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

yea i dont think 1/2" will do, i built a 240 out of 1/2" and it bowed at least 3/4" , you will need closer to 1" to be safe with the size tank you want.

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Have you ever worked with acrylic before? This is a hell of a project to be asking where to get materials for, what solvents are you planning on using?

~Will.

7. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I was looking into it a while ago and for a tank of that depth I was told to use at least 3/4" cell cast acrylic, after pricing it out it would be cheaper to buy an aquarium with those dimensions. Just my two cents.

Jake

8. Click Here!

9. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

Glasscages.com sells just sheets of acylic (or glass) cut to the sizes you want. 3/4" is $22 a square foot.

I believe 32" is the max height for 3/4", but you can ask glasscages and they will give you what you should have.

You are looking at roughly 33 sq. ft. I believe. Thats like $730 for the acylic alone.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As the others have said, when I first read your post, I though 1/2" thick acrylic would not do, and that acrylic is expensive, especially for large, thick sheets of it. And glass will most likely be cheaper, but you have the weight issue, you will need multiple people to help you or a forklift or something along those lines. You most likely will be better of ordering a custom tank.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's rare to get crazing on thicker acrylic, however it can happen.

12. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Just a couple thoughts, if this is your first time working with acrylic I would really start with something smaller unless you have the funds to throw away a couple in case you make mistakes. Working with acrylic is quite an art IMO and it's pretty easy for a slip in concentration for a few seconds to result in a permanent flaw or at best a lot of time reworking.

Also please make sure you do your research on types of acrylic, there are at least 2 types and only one of those is suitable for building tanks out of, there may be more but I'm no expert. :)

Also here's one source for some information on working with acrylic, if you're interested.
    Melevsreef.com | Tools I Use