What's a good book that I can buy?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ebasallo430, Mar 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ebasallo430

ebasallo430 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello Everyone!!!

I hope everyones doing great this morning! :)

Well I want to go and buy a book that can give me more knowledge of Salt Water Tanks, and maintaining a healthy tank..that teached me a little more about corals and fishes.

So, does anyone have any good books in mind??? :thinking2​

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The conscientious marine aquarist by Robert Fenner

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

With sooooo much info on-line, save the $$, browse around, and read through here for pretty much all you need to know.

BTW, did you get the tank for 400.00 ?

\Cheers

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

+1 I never read a book on the hobby. I learned everything I know through experience, knowledgeable and honest lfs store owners, club members and the internet :)

6. ebasallo430

ebasallo430 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

no not yet im going to go see it on saturday!!! ;D

7. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

yeah same here, I thumbed through a few books and wasn't impressed. I've learned way more on this forum and just by doing than any book could tell.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

10. Calawah

Calawah Astrea Snail

I second what Omard said. I spent some time poking around the books at my LFS, and decided that 3reef was a better reference. It comes with customer support!;D

11. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

^and the occasional free frag!

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

While I agree that this is probably the best site on planet earth for learning about reef tank care; I've always been a big proponent of books. A good plus regarding the use of the internet is the multiplicity of responses; where the average person can take what they want from a wealth of information.

As I see it, books are simply one more response--and unlike the occasional misinformation spread on the internet everywhere--book authors know their subject. To quote Bob Dylan, ". . . and I'll know my song well before I start singing. .. " Books by their very nature are accurate pieces of factual data.

Take everything you learn with a grain of salt, but never stop seeking sources of information.

The first book I ever read was "The Marine Aquarium Handbook: From Beginner To Breeder." Written by Martin Moe. I read this book in the early 80's before my first tank, and was better informed than people at the LFS (which isn't saying much, I know. . ). This book is most certainly out of date, but Moe still writes, and although I've not read any of his recent work, I think you probably can't go wrong with his name.

So, yes, keep frequenting 3Reef, but never stop reading books!