what the heck is this?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by billrwilson, Mar 20, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i saw this on my glass moving its about 1/4 inch from end of arm to the other end of arm what is it ? is it a baby star?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Yep its a type of starfish. If you have one now give it a couple of weeks and you'll have plenty. They reproduce by splitting and they do it like crazy. i started out with one that my LFS gave me just for fun and now i count about 30 that i can see. They only thing is that they are knowned to eat SPS polyps. So im trying to get them out. Do a search on he threads here and you'll find 2 or 3 about that type of star.

Marc.

4. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

thanks marc. how big do they get. and im guessing they are a bad thing for my reef im trying to start?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

6. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

i have a million(well maybe not a million)of these little stars and as far as i can tell they have not touched a thing, i have sps and lps and all type of zoos and 9 clams etc and i have never had a problem with these little stars, i believe they have gotten a bad rap(is gotten a word???)rest easy and enjoy the free stuff.

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Thats what the guy at the LFS told me... i dont have any first hand experience since i dont have any LPS or SPS yet. So i guess its one of those personnal experience things... So sorry if i misguided anybody.

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. festus

festus Plankton

4/5's of a starfish. They don't get much bigger than that. They don't do any harm that I've noticed. They come in on your liverock.

I usually see these right after the lights come on. They run for cover quickly after that.