What have you done to your set up today?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Todd_Sails, Apr 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

This is a obviously general thread, about how we tinker and improve on our systems, which seems to be nearly daily for me. I love tinkering with my tank.

I'll start, today:

I am using a MaxiJet 1200- used in fan mode (1300gph) as one of my water movers in my DT. It has a base with 3 suction cups to attach it to the wall on the tank.
    My Korallias, with the magnet on the outside don't move.
    But on the Maxijet,
    I'm always having to clean the back glass its on in the area of the mount, and always having to push to regain the suction on the mount.
    Occasionally, it comes off, moving 1300gph, blowing frags over, my Crushed Coral snad bed around etc.- I got tired of it.

So today, I used the mount that hangs on the top rim instead, the one with 1 suction cup on the bottom. Luckily for me, I had it up about 4 inches from the top anyways. So far, so good.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

Changed my sand leaving a thin layer of Marcos fine with tropic Eden reef flakes over the top and added Elos ato

4. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Today a just looked at it and shook my head ... stupid bacteria bloom!

5. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Moved trumpet coral to keep our new RBTA from stinging it. Poor lil' feller.

6. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Working on some plumbing! I hate plumbing!!!!!!

Katya and Marty like this.
  7. rsjakp

rsjakp Bristle Worm

looking and thinking I really have to make time to use the razor blade on all of the algae on the sides to get back to clean glass!

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I also:

I'm using an Aqualifter, as a redundent failsafe drawing from the top loop in my DIY HOB overflow. (I"ve even unplugged for days, no siphon break)
    The airline tuning also gets hit by the scatter from my lights, so today, I used a black piece of airline tubing (comes with the MaxiJets), and I covered the top part of the long clear one running to my sump with black electrical tape.
    Now it won't form algae in the tube in this area!

Brilliant, if I do say so myself.

** The purpose of this thread is to brag, vent, and to learn from other peoples brilliant ideas!

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK, C'mon now! I know others 'tinker' with their systems!

I'd like to hear what sorts of things you've 'adjusted' on your system lately.

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I moved recently and went to do the tank today and ran out of time. So my tank is basically in a 40 gallon brute garbage can waiting till i can get the tank in place.

12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I rearranged my rock scape for better coral placement, which obviously meant that I moved some of my corals :)