What about a powder blue tang in a 105 gallon?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Pdxile, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

Hmmm....
    Live Aquaria says 125 minimum. bluezoo says 75. Can I split the difference and go with 105? Also, I have a Kole tang. Should it be better to get the powder smaller or larger than the Kole?
    Thanks again.
    H

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I would think that tank is big enough. I'd go smaller on the powder blue.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I assume the 105 is 4' long. If so, I would disagree and say no :( Powder Blues, Browns, etc really should be in 6' long tanks. I have a small Powder Brown in my 6' 125 and it uses all of the tank already. They are very active fish, and do get large.

Instead I would suggest a smaller member of the Zebrasoma genus instead. You would be better off trying to add one the same size or larger than the Kole. They won't like each other right away either way, but if it is smaller, the Kole will have a field day. If you have a way to separate the tank or even just use an acclimation box, that would definitely help.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

+1

105 is not enough room.

6. Pdxile

Thanks for the input. It's possible but not a good idea, so no powder blue for me.

I'd like to add a blue fish, but the hippo tang is definitely out and damsels are not even in the running. Angels are not reef-safe so the coral beauty is out. Can you think of a larger blue fish that would do well in a 105 reef?

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

What about a Pygmy Angel, might be taking a chance with coral tho. & they tend to be mean.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a flame angel in my 90. I've had it for about a year from my old tank as well. Even though they say caution with coral. I really haven't seen mine eat only coral. I feed once a day along with a light sprinkle of NLS before heading to work. Occasionally it will pass by and nip at one hard coral but not something that will cause the colony to die out. As a matter of fact, I read somewhere that an occasional nip will encourage sps growth. not sure how true it is but mine are steadily growing. I don't see the coral beauty being any different than the flame angel. Just don't mix the two together.

10. Pdxile

I'd love a flame angel... Several years ago I had a coral beauty "go rouge" on me and eat a bubble coral. I'm almost willing to take a chance on a flame.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

With a Flame Angel, at the bare minimum plan on it picking at your SPS, causing your SPS to have no PE. That's what mine does. No real damage though.

As far as a blue fish, nothing larger that is reef safe comes to mind. There are some blueish Wrasses that would work. Blue Assessor is another (small though). Blue Midas Blenny (again, not as blue as you are looking for). Blue Reef Chromis (though I have no idea how they do in a group or how peaceful they are). That's about all I can think of...

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

105 would be ok for a powder blue as long as you dont keep anything with it. They are vicious animals and mne killed two tanks overnight before i returned it.