water change questions

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Executivelevel, Feb 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

ok, im not so sure if this is the best thing to do or not but here gos (dont get mad at me) my tanks literally evaporate a couple of gallons every week. on my 120 i ad about 2-5 gallons of fresh (unsalted) water every week and about 2 gallons to the 55. the salinity is always the same (as salt doesnt evaporate) and my levels are always really good. is this bad for the tanks?? should i actually change the water more or aslong as my levels are good is this a fine routine???

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im sorry but I didnt understand the Q. Was there a Q to begin with?

4. Executivelevel

the question is at the end of the post, is this ok to do or should i change the water more???

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I think I understand you ,
    the question was can you just add your top-off water and get away without doing your water changes right???
    If so the answer is unless you have a filtration setup that will remove the dertris from your tank
    I would be encourageing you to do some 10% water changes every 2-3 weeks
    this should keep the nitrates under control as I think you have a F/O tank right?
    and in the 120g you also have some big waste makers ie snowflake eel.

6. Executivelevel

yeah, FOWLR in both tanks, and the eel is still just a baby, but i will do that. all my levels stay really good and all the fish are very active and feed great.

7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I personally do a 10% water change in all of our tanks on a weekly basis. 8)

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im sorry but I didnt understand your Q.In my exp.you can get away with it as long as you dont have a big bio load. But I wouldnt take the chance. I do what you do and 25g water changes weekly only b/c I have a big bio load. I also use R/O water in between WC.

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

As stated above, topping off evaporated water and doing water changes are two different things done for entirely different reasons.

My 120 evaps about 5 gal. every three days.

Of course this is replaced with fresh water.

I do a 20-30% water change/exchange (newly mixed salt water) every other Sunday in the 120g. And a 30-40% water change in 12 gal Nano weekly. (I don't have a skimmer in Nano.) Often when being really lazy, I use water from main tank to do water change in Nano as the Main has much more LR and a skimmer to boot and water params almost always stable.

Check out: Water Changes/Exchanges,, By Anthony Calfo

11. Executivelevel

thats a goos article, thanks

12. andybethke

andybethke Flamingo Tongue

im pretty sure the water company loves all you guys lol!!! but anyways i add about 1.5 gallons ro water weekly to my 10gal tank and im still gonna start doing bi-weekly water changes