vortech wireless wavemaker and questioning my priorities

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ReefSparky, Dec 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

In preparation for going reef I have ditched the bioballs for more LR, pitched the CC substrate for carbonate-based sand; I've built a decent 'fuge with chaeto using a 10g tank, and upgraded my protein skimmer. For the first time in a true 20 years, I seem to have algae growth under control, thanks to reading around. In about a week, I'll have a new Aquactinics 5 bulb T5 unit.

I'm questioning my sense of priority regarding my few next purchases; and as I move on this is what I see myself needing (not necessarily in this order.)

1. something to create turbulence in the water.
    2. a RO/DI unit and autotopoff.
    3. a calcium reactor

For now, I'm buying SW at the LFS to avoid using tapwater. I think I'll use a 2 part bottled approach for calcium introduction until my system really starts to demand calcium in quantity, then I'll pick up the ca reactor.

I think of the 3 items listed above, the wavemaker takes priority.

I'm eyeing the vortech wavemaker for about $400. Can someone with experience with this item tell me if placing one in a 48x12x21" 55g tank would be overkill or maybe dangerous for LPS, a maxima maybe, a hammer, sun polyps, some zoas and paly's? I'd also love a montipora. I don't yet own these corals, so I can change the list if necessary.

Back to the Vortech, I see in the paperwork they're rated for 20 gal tanks and up, although I don't remember what the max is. I've got a nervous feeling about placing such a powerful item in such a relatively small tank. I could save a bunch and go with a couple of Koralias--maybe 2 #2's?

So to review this jumbled post, I want to know if:

1. A wavemaker should take precedence over a RO/DI unit and a calcium reactor; and
    2. If the Vortech is too much.
    3. If anyone sees sense in purchasing something I haven't considered.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Cheaper way to make current/waves.

I vote for the RO/DI unit, you will quickly save enough on water to improve above.

IMHO

Scott

4. ReefSparky

Omard, at .35/gal, SW is costing me about $5.25 to do a 25% water change each month. Maybe it's more expensive in your neck of the woods?

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Here's my two cents, I dont see the need for a wave maker, esp. in a 55gal tank and at $400.00. The same goes for the ca reactor. I think for now you should get the ro unit for your top off. I have a 90gal and I dont need the wave maker or the ca reactor. My cal is always between 400-440 without any cal additives like B-Ionic.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

How much do you give the Middle East to go pick it up?;)

7. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

i would say buy the ro/di and auto top off.in my opinion you dont need a 400 dollar wave maker.there are way more cheaper items that create current out there.even tho that is a nice piece of fish gear.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

It is a 40 mile round trip!!

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I think the Vortech is the most expensive option in Wave makers for your size tank. you would have the Pump dialled down to it's minimum setting. I feel you would be better of with a few Maxijets connected to a wavemaker pro or a Natural wave timer. Then you would have the cash to also get the RO/DI.

J

11. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i have an ocean runner 3700 hooked up t a scwd and i cant complain. It puts some nice flow and dont cost even 1/3 of the price of the vortech. i agree with te others, you could get the RO/DI +Top Off, Some circ pumps and part of your reactor for the price of one vortech thingamabob.

Just my 0.02 cents (which i dont have because i even spent those n my tank, ;) )

Bobby K.

12. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

well I would have to say that I have wavemaker running 4 1200 maxijets with rotating deflectors in a 55gal and it gives great flow for my corals I think as long as your not straight streaming your stock then more flow the merryer . I can't comment on any specific modles thou as I made mine.
    Also I would say I wish I had AUTO TOP OFF
    hope that helped abit