Turn over

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Hoverman, Jan 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

for a mixed reef, what is the recommended turn over per hour 2 times tank volume?

2. Click Here!

3. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

Depends on what critters and corals you choose mainly. Mine used to be at 20x, now it's ~40x, but that is considered to be on the high side.. I think for sps corals: 10-20x, and for mixed maybe: 5-10x should be sufficient. You can always add powerheads and their position makes alot of difference. All I have is two koralia 2's. They seem to be one of the most effecient (at the price range) and very quiet!

4. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

im more concerned with turnover from a filtration aspect, not for providing flow for livestock, i can always add powerheads.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Then you need to move the same or more water that your skimmer is turning over. If that is the only thing in your sump doing filtration.

6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

from what I understand it should be around 15-20x turnover ,althought it is important to have quality turnover , ie elimination of dead spots so you infact are filtering the total tank compacity .
    hope that helps

Sorry about that have a look here
    Marine tank set-up - 19k

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

He wants it for filtration not flow for livestock.

8. Click Here!

9. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

IMO, I like to filter 4X's the tank size on a typical set up. If you have a large bioload, I would step it up to 6X's or more.

11. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

let me put it this way i currently have a 70g tank with a 15g sump/refuge, my pump is currently turning over my tank at about 10x per hour, i want to move my pump to my basement which will be about 4 feet lower directly under my tank and move my refuge to another 30gal tank but this of course will give me alot more head pressure which will slow down my return to about 2-3x per hour, this way i will have a seperate sump for my skimmer and a much larger refuge with alot deeper sand bed.

12. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Your skimmer should turn over at about 1.5x-2x per hour. I think that when it comes to your return you should be atleast 4x per hour. Thats around what I run currently. I have seen tanks with returns of 2x and lower and I think the skimmer and chemical filtration have a hard time being effective at that point. Your filtration turnover is some what linked to the flow turnover within the tank. If you have a well planned flow system, detritus will stay in the water column and be more effectively skimmed.

Is the pump you are using an external model? The external High pressure pumps dont lose that much flow with small amount of extra head pressure.