Trip to my LFS

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by sean_p_f, Feb 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

So i go to my LFS after recieving a call from a friend letting me know that the local LFS has so beautiful carpet aneminies as he knows i am looking for one... So while i am there this kid comes in with his parents and says "mom i want that fish" (a blue hippo). So his mom says ok we will buy you a tank and get one. So they proceed to put together a whole tank setup and then asked the worker for the fish. To his credit the sales person refused the sale as he knoew the fish would die in an new tank. Now i write this because everyone has bad things to say about Petco but that is where i was. I am going to guess that i am lucky to have a good staff in my area that care about fish and have a good knowledge base. It just kills me that people tear apart all the stores when not all are bad. To me it is like going to Mcd's and getting a bad burger and sayong all are bad.

Oh BTW i got a carpet aneminie that is about 6" across for $40. Caint beat that price.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Good to hear they hire some responsible people!:)

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

but the question is,what would the boss do if he found out

5. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Since you think Petco deserves a star for that advice on the hippo, what advice did they give you regarding that carpet you bought? HaHaHaHa

Petco has absolutely no business whatsoever selling carpet anemones.IMO

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Since mine doesn't even know what a ground probe is I wouldn't give them the same accredidation:( I am sure they have some good workers, but they are few and far between.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

You need to make a post about your $2,000 dollar carpet anemone!

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The one here sold a blue hippo to 2 college girls with a 3 week old 12g nano that had 3lbs of liverock, 2 clowns,1 damsel and a shrimp. The girls were friends of a friend. I let them borrow a bunch of stuff to help them and kept their fish for them while the new tank cycled and hooked them up with a 75g oceanic.

10. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I agree with most of what you said ;)
    Now about that carpet anemone.... I kept one for about 4 years and learned through experience and here at 3reef on how to keep one. It will sting and eat any and all fish except some clowns that come in contact with it. It does not have a choice it is a reflex action. Your water quality should be next to pristine and you should have a fairly mature tank. Depending upon how often you feed it and how much light you give it to feed the Zooxanthella it has will determine has fast it grows. Remember they can get to 3 feet across in the wild. If you can live with this then enjoy your purchase. I did until the day it ate my favorite tang and then I remembered the words of some of our more senior members " These are best kept in a species only tank, Not in a general reef aquarium." Good Luck and enjoy. And I hope I don't sound like I am preaching cause I'm not :)

Jim

11. trizzot

trizzot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

WOW, Ive had my carpet for about 5 years, Its killed 2 things in 5 years. Both shrimp that got caught. I agree with Sean. Just because you have one bad burger, dosent make them all bad. But I understand its easier to just throw in the towell and give up and not try. To each is own.

12. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Geek is exagerating about $1450 worth. Dam thing that carpet. I swear its anus smiles at me everytime it eats a fish.