Temperature Range

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by NASAGeek, Aug 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

What temperature range do you allow in your tank??

I went and read some old posts and learned that dissolved oxygen starts dropping at temps above 78. Seemed like 77 to 80 would be reasonable.

I am upgrading my 55 gallon tank to a 130 gallon. I bought the 130 tank, stand, hood, a Mag 9 and a chiller with Ranco controller for $250 off Craigslist. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

On the 55 gallon, I had my heater set to 76. SO now the question is when to kick on the chiller??? I am thinking 81.....

Your thoughts???

Mark

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Depending on what corals/fish you have in your tank the temp. will vary. Research your livestock and you will get the recommended temp for them. I would say around 76 - 78 would be perfect?

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I keep my tank at 80. The ocean temperaturedoes fluctuate a bit though, so I have my alarm set to go off when my tank reaches 81-83. Being a he aquarium you might want to keep it within +/- 1 or degrees & no more.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

On a reef, the water temperature doesn't fluctuate even a degree over the course of a day. Mostly anything kept in a tank can handle a 1-2 degree swing over the day, though.

When talking about where to have as a baseline, we need to know what you have in the tank and plan to keep. Usually, 78-80 is good, but there's a few fairly common fish and other animals that doesn't belong in that temperature.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Mine varies between 76 and 80 depending on the hours temp for the low end.

7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

mine is set to 77. my old tank went hung around 80-82 in the summer and 78 in winter.

10. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

My tank is 78-80 during the summer, and 76-78 during the winter.

I see that there is disagreement about whether or not natural reef temperatures fluctuate during the day. My own evidence is anecdotal, but when I've gone snorkeling, I've definately noticed some temperature fluctuations with the odd blast of cold water coming in on a current. I've never been deeper than snokerling depth though.

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Mine is between 78-80 during it's daylight times & have my tank drop to 76-78 during it's nighttime. The night always cools down regardless where you live, so I have my tank simulate it. :)

12. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I keep mine at 79.8 and it never goes above 80.1 or below 79.6...my controller either turns my fans on or my heaters on depending what it needs.